Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Re: 2005 TOC Update *SPOILERS*

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Would have been nice for Corkins to win. At least he wouldn't be as likely to piss away the million so quickly. I wonder how much Matusow sold of himself for this? Hmm, maybe that's why Juanda was so vocal in his support.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, why would Mike 'sell' himself for a freeroll tournament? That doesn't make any sense at all. It's not like he had to put anything up for the entry. Am I missing something?

And maybe J.J. was so vocal in his support, uh, I dunno, because they're ... friends?

[/ QUOTE ]

If Matusow was bankrolled for the ME, then I would think his backers will have some sort of claim on his TOC winnings, since the ME is what got him in the TOC.

And my wild guess is that Phil Gordon is one of his backers.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Would have been nice for Corkins to win. At least he wouldn't be as likely to piss away the million so quickly. I wonder how much Matusow sold of himself for this? Hmm, maybe that's why Juanda was so vocal in his support.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, why would Mike 'sell' himself for a freeroll tournament? That doesn't make any sense at all. It's not like he had to put anything up for the entry. Am I missing something?

And maybe J.J. was so vocal in his support, uh, I dunno, because they're ... friends?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, because it was a freeroll, and selling pieces of himself allows him to lock up something and play for the rest. It's common.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And my wild guess is that Phil Gordon is one of his backers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it's Seidel.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mike Matusow on Christmas Eve. What a family event!

[/ QUOTE ]
Matusow is always dreaming of a "white" Christmas.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:49 PM

Wasn't it reported that Mike won his entry online (Not on FTP)
Old 11-09-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wasn't it reported that Mike won his entry online (Not on FTP)

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope I seem to be quite convinced that he got an entry for making the final table of the main event...

Nice win Matusow!
Old 11-09-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Eventually, even Steve Dannenmann jumps into things, saying that as a professional poker player, he isn't acting very professionally. They exchange a few more words, and Dannenmann caps it off by saying, "Nobody should buy your books or CDs, because you're a punk."

[/ QUOTE ]

That does it. I didn't like Dannenmann much after the Lederer phone call, but everything ESPN has shown since then has made me think the guy's actually pretty okay. And now, to hear that he told Hellmuth he's a punk? Priceless. How could anybody not like Dannenmann now?

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed ... although these days, if he had posted that here, he would have been banned.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 159 - Hoyt Corkins has the button, he limps, and Matusow checks. The flop comes Kd-Ks-10c, and both players check. The turn card is the Qh, and Matusow checks out. That's right, he folds, even though Corkins hadn't bet. He laughs afterwards, saying something about his hand. It must have been a really low hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This hand was great. Hoyt showed a king after Mike folded. Mike just didn't feel like [censored] around and wanted to get to the next hand.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're not following this on CardPlayer, you're missing out. This should make for some great t.v. It's down to Hoyt, Hellmuth, and the Mouth.

Matusow is breaking out all the verbal warfare tactics with Hellmuth.

Also, if you recall the WPT episode from a while back where Hoyt pwned Hellmuth and Hellmuth commented that he "couldn't wait to get another crack at him."

Airs on Christmas Eve...thanks Santa!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you didn't watch this live, you missed out.

I think people are going to be raving about the parts that make the television broadcast forever once this event airs.

At one point, Phil was so intensely focused that Mike's verbal warfare was completely ineffective. It was stunning.

I rushed to Vegas yesterday for a little trip just catch this event, found it after wandering Caesar's for a bit and watched it to the end. It was a real privilege and a treat.

Hint: Watch for Mike's reaction at the end. It was priceless.

As for pissing away millions, I doubt there's much chance of that.

The main comment Mike had about winning a million dollars was that it would get him out of debt. Heh. He said this at the table in the middle of the tournament.

One funny thing I think you're unlikely to see in the broadcast is Matusow continually harassing Phil, saying "You're not even supposed to be here." G-d that was funny.

He also said something like "I'm supposed to have blown up and lost by now, Hoyt got lucky to stay in, and Phil's not even supposed to be here, so we're even."
Old 11-09-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Eventually, even Steve Dannenmann jumps into things, saying that as a professional poker player, he isn't acting very professionally. They exchange a few more words, and Dannenmann caps it off by saying, "Nobody should buy your books or CDs, because you're a punk."

[/ QUOTE ]

That does it. I didn't like Dannenmann much after the Lederer phone call, but everything ESPN has shown since then has made me think the guy's actually pretty okay. And now, to hear that he told Hellmuth he's a punk? Priceless. How could anybody not like Dannenmann now?

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed ... although these days, if he had posted that here, he would have been banned.

[/ QUOTE ]

So sad, and yet, so true.