Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 11:20 PM

Default $55: Finally broke even... 649 SnGs + deposit bonus => Lessons learned

It was an ulcer riddled roller coaster ride.

But today i finally broke even (money wise).

I'm still down $200 from SnG's, but $100 deposit bonus, plus $100 profit from the NL tables to earn that bonus put me back to breakeven!

Variance extremes...sheesh... From never having a losing week at the $55's to my 1st bad streak being HUGE and lasting weeks.

Why couldn't my 1st bad streak be small like any other normal person? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Lessons learned:

1) If on a losing streak, just start with 1 set that day. if that set is profitable, then start another set. if not, do something else, wake up next morning and try again.

Do not start new games as you are eliminated. finish the rest of the games in the set first. you will be more and more on tilt as you keep on racking up loses.

I know I have blown the chip lead on the bubble in at least 3 SnGs and finished 4th. and numerous times where i was #2 stack, and got tired of the big stack stealing my blinds, and tangled with him with disasterous results. All cause i kept starting new games thinking this will be the game the streak ends.

2) Review your hand histories of when you were winning and compare that to how you're playing now.

3) Write down results of how you lost each SnG.

ie: bad beat, lost coing flip, normal steal and got called by a good/premium hand, he had a better hand, and my favorite... WTF did i do that for?!

I had a HUGE number of bad beats where villian caught 3, 2 and even 1 outers. Not to mention the regular bad beats (he caught his straight/flush draw). Unfortunately, i also have more 'WTF did i do that for' than 'my hand was good, his was better' [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: $55: Finally broke even... 649 SnGs + deposit bonus => Lessons lea

Although your strategies are good now, its probably important to learn to play after losing. I don't like it but I know that itll most likely cost me a lot of money every year if I stop whenever Im down. Focus on improving your play after losing because honestly you are going to lose a lot no matter who you are. Of course also focus on being a winning player instead of a breakeven one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2005, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Although your strategies are good now, its probably important to learn to play after losing. I don't like it but I know that itll most likely cost me a lot of money every year if I stop whenever Im down. Focus on improving your play after losing because honestly you are going to lose a lot no matter who you are. Of course also focus on being a winning player instead of a breakeven one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will have to find the post where I said this. I think I was critisized for saying it, but its true. Its very - EV to not learn how to just suck it up and play without being on tilt or even letting a 30 buy in down swing touch your mentality.

I am proud to say that I am almost there. I still get a little pissy after a 200 break even streak, but I just recently plowed through a 30 buy in drop at the 55s and it came at a bad time for me too. It felt awesome to have the strength to pull through it without losing a wink of sleep.

Don't sweat it though, the best way to learn mental toughness is through experience. A painfull, suffering, horrible experience.

Enjoy
Old 06-21-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will have to find the post where I said this. I think I was critisized for saying it, but its true. Its very - EV to not learn how to just suck it up and play without being on tilt or even letting a 30 buy in down swing touch your mentality.

I am proud to say that I am almost there. I still get a little pissy after a 200 break even streak, but I just recently plowed through a 30 buy in drop at the 55s and it came at a bad time for me too. It felt awesome to have the strength to pull through it without losing a wink of sleep.

Don't sweat it though, the best way to learn mental toughness is through experience. A painfull, suffering, horrible experience.

Enjoy

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1) If on a losing streak, just start with 1 set that day. if that set is profitable, then start another set. if not, do something else, wake up next morning and try again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have another strategy when I am running bad at the 22s. If I lose my first set, I move down to 11s. I usually run much better there (and if I don't the losses aren't that big). When back to even I try another set of 22s.

While I am giving up some money in the long run (but with my 11s ROI close double my 22s ROI not all that much) while , I don't have those horrible $500 losing days that take a four-five days to bounce back from.

[ QUOTE ]

3) Write down results of how you lost each SnG.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a horrible idea and is just a giant pacifier. Of course you are going to conclude based on that sample that you have tonnes of bad luck.

If you don't write down the hands every time you get the money in the middle, it is worthless for anything.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my 11s ROI close double my 22s ROI

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you're not trying as hard at the 22s, or not being as aggressive? I doubt many people's ROIs drop by more than 5% when they make the jump from 11s to 22s.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:10 AM

I think it is mostly variance. I am running really well at the 11s and running poorly at the 22s (lose with JJ vs A9 in the 22s while winning with A9 vs JJ in the 11s etc). I have a very high number of 1sts in the 11s also. I think in the long run the difference will be closer. I am still a winner at the 22s so it is not like I am in a panic here.

But my biggest problem earlier was when I was running really bad I was thinking "just another set". So I played too many SnGs during downswings, while I get content when running good.

This strategy keeps me more balanced since the bad days aren't as bad as previously.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you're not trying as hard at the 22s, or not being as aggressive? I doubt many people's ROIs drop by more than 5% when they make the jump from 11s to 22s.

[/ QUOTE ]
My $22 ROI is like double my $11. I moved up to the $22s when I got better, and my opponents stayed as donkish NIGGA
Old 06-21-2005, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
My $22 ROI is like double my $11. I moved up to the $22s when I got better, and my opponents stayed as donkish NIGGA

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, well my $33 ROI is double my $22 ROI. Ship it!
Old 06-21-2005, 02:00 AM

That's why I want your babies