Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 09:57 AM

Default quick VOCAB referesher-

Hi -- I am kinda new to these forums. I was a successful limit player and am making the (BRUTALLY TOUGH, and expensive) to NL. I have posted a few hands and have received moderate response. I was wondering a few things at this point and would love some help:

Vocab stuff: Would you mind giving me a working definition of these terms - I see them often in posts, and do not have a full understanding of them...

1. Continuation BET
2. Fold equity
3. Block (bet)

AND a general question:

1. Is there a new converter link-- BISON's is not working for me in NL for some reason, and I suspect that is hindering my getting repsonses to posts.

any tips for getting people to respond to your posts more?

thanks for the help...

sly
Old 10-19-2005, 10:38 AM

Default Re: quick VOCAB referesher-

[ QUOTE ]
Hi -- I am kinda new to these forums. I was a successful limit player and am making the (BRUTALLY TOUGH, and expensive) to NL. I have posted a few hands and have received moderate response. I was wondering a few things at this point and would love some help:

Vocab stuff: Would you mind giving me a working definition of these terms - I see them often in posts, and do not have a full understanding of them...

1. Continuation BET
2. Fold equity
3. Block (bet)

AND a general question:

1. Is there a new converter link-- BISON's is not working for me in NL for some reason, and I suspect that is hindering my getting repsonses to posts.

any tips for getting people to respond to your posts more?

thanks for the help...

sly

[/ QUOTE ]

Check FAQ pinned at the top of page for Bison Hand Converter info.

Continuation Bet: a bet (between 2/3 and full pot) on the flop from a preflop raiser. You make this bet whether or not your hand improved.

Fold Equity: The chance that your opponent will fold if you bet. Your opponents FE plus your chance of improving in a given hand will help you see whether a bet is profitable or not.

Block Bet: this one is hard for me. As I understand it, a blocker bet is a bet that you make when acting first on the river having a hand that you want to show down because you feel that if you check your opponent will bet more than you can call. For example, if the pot is $40, I might lead the river with a $20 blocker bet rather than check and let my opponent make a pot-sized bet, which I don't have the odds to call.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter/

Use the 2+2 format!
Old 10-19-2005, 11:16 AM

Here's an article on blocking bets:

What is a Blocking Bet?
Old 10-19-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's an article on blocking bets:

What is a Blocking Bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice article. I guess I got it right. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2005, 11:57 AM

[quote
Fold Equity: The chance that your opponent will fold if you bet. Your opponents FE plus your chance of improving in a given hand will help you see whether a bet is profitable or not.

godfather--
thx for the thoughts... I got the other 2 but fold equity I am a bit shaky on. I guess conceptually I have it, but is there an example you know of on actually figuring it out.

is the percenetage to hit my hand figured out for the next card only (on the flop for example); or for rest of hand? an example would help firm this up in my mind...

again, i do appreciate the help--

sly
Old 10-19-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[quote

godfather--
thx for the thoughts... I got the other 2 but fold equity I am a bit shaky on. I guess conceptually I have it, but is there an example you know of on actually figuring it out.

is the percenetage to hit my hand figured out for the next card only (on the flop for example); or for rest of hand? an example would help firm this up in my mind...

again, i do appreciate the help--

sly

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, for example: making a pot sized push with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on a K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] board where I am confident that my villain has either KQo or KJo. I have a 45% chance of improving to win the hand if Villain calls, but if Villain folds here then I win 100% of the time. The more often Villain will fold to this bet, the better the bet is for me.

Villain's fold equity (or the percentage of the time he'll fold to my bet) can make this a less profitable or more profitable play. The lower Villain's fold equity, the less profitable the play. The higher Villain's fold equity, the more profitable the play.