Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 12:35 AM

Default Taking a hooker to Disneyland... Help me get this joke

I live in Vegas and it seems like every hack comic in town tells a version of this one joke. It goes: "Why do people take their kids to Vegas? That's like taking a hooker to Disenyland." The joke always kills, but I don't get it.

One theory I have is that people find it funny because Vegas and Disneyland are supposed to be opposites, with the former catering to adults and the latter to kids. But hookers aren't the opposite of kids, so this doesn't seem to hold up.

My second theory was that people at shows & comedy clubs are usually drunk and will laugh at anything, but this doesn't hold up either because I've seen plenty of other jokes fall completely flat.

My final theory is that people just find the word "hooker" titillating, so they laugh when they hear it unexpectedly. This theory seems more plausable than the others, but it still seems like I'm reaching.

Can someone with a more advanced sense of humor than mine please enlighten me? I don't find this joke funny at all, but since I'm going to hear it every time I go to a comedy show I'd at least like to know why most people think it's hilarious.

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Taking a hooker to Disneyland... Help me get this joke

Disneyland=lots of kids running about, Vegas=lots of hookers [running about]. Taking a kid to Vegas is like taking a hooker to Disneyland. It's really not complicated; If this doesn't do it for you, I don't know that anything will.

EDIT: It's also not really that funny.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I live in Vegas and it seems like every hack comic in town tells a version of this one joke. It goes: "Why do people take their kids to Vegas? That's like taking a hooker to Disenyland." The joke always kills, but I don't get it.

One theory I have is that people find it funny because Vegas and Disneyland are supposed to be opposites, with the former catering to adults and the latter to kids. But hookers aren't the opposite of kids, so this doesn't seem to hold up.

My second theory was that people at shows & comedy clubs are usually drunk and will laugh at anything, but this doesn't hold up either because I've seen plenty of other jokes fall completely flat.

My final theory is that people just find the word "hooker" titillating, so they laugh when they hear it unexpectedly. This theory seems more plausable than the others, but it still seems like I'm reaching.

Can someone with a more advanced sense of humor than mine please enlighten me? I don't find this joke funny at all, but since I'm going to hear it every time I go to a comedy show I'd at least like to know why most people think it's hilarious.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oddly enough, I find the word titillating titillating. As per the joke, not a great one, I agree, but these comparison jokes usually tend to work.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:51 AM

i dont find the joke hilarious, but its very witty.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Disneyland=lots of kids running about, Vegas=lots of hookers [running about]. Taking a kid to Vegas is like taking a hooker to Disneyland. It's really not complicated; If this doesn't do it for you, I don't know that anything will.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really satisfied. You can pay for a hooker for sex in Vegas, but you can't pay a kid for sex at Disneyland. Well, I guess you could theoretically, but it's not encouraged...

Seriously though, using your logic you could take any type of person unique to Vegas and substitute them for the hooker and the joke should still be funny. Is the joke still funny if you're taking a showgirl to Disneyland? I don't know, because I don't see why the joke is funny in the first place... but if you're one of the legions who do find the joke funny, is it still funny with showgirl substituted for hooker?

If not, your theory is incorrect.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:03 AM

I actually think the joke would be funnier the other way around.

"Why do people take kids to Disneyland...that's like taking a hooker to Vegas!"

Kind of a "coals to Newcastle" motif.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:11 AM

You're thinking about this way too much.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're thinking about this way too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now this is something I can agree with. I pay money to hear this joke every weekend, so its persistence is beginning to grate on me like water torture. I figure if I can learn the nature of the beast I will be more likely to come to grips with it.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Why do people take kids to Disneyland...that's like taking a hooker to Vegas!"

[/ QUOTE ]

This actually made me laugh out loud, but then I read it again and didn't think it was funny. weird eh
Old 08-25-2005, 01:52 AM

Kids and hookers are on opposite ends of the innocence spectrum, as are Disneyland and Vegas (based on public perception).