Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: My highest degree(s) is/are...
< High school 9 5.00%
High school diploma/equiv 26 14.44%
BA/BS/equiv 94 52.22%
MA/MS/MBA/JD 39 21.67%
MD/PhD 12 6.67%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2005, 05:21 AM

Default To complain or not to complain?

Last Wednesday, my family and I (we have relatives in from England) go to Panera to get sandwiches before we go to Ravinia (an outdoor concert where Aretha was performing).

We get there and realize one of the seven sandwiches is missing. A little annoying, we have to get a new meal from the food stands there.

On Sunday, I go in and tell the manager, the same guy that gave me our food, that he forgot a sandwich on Wednesday. He said since I didn't call in and didn't have a receipt there was nothing he could do.

As a side note, I know one of the kids that was working that day who said the manager realized and mentioned that sandwich was forgotten for one of the larger to-go orders.

It didn't seem necessary to call from an outdoor concert and I didn't even consider keeping the receipt. (Note that if I wanted to steal a sandwich, I could call after any take-out order and keep any receipt, claiming that something was missing).

I expected to get a replacement easily next time I went in. I now plan on writing them a letter online basically complaining and requesting a new one.

Am I going overboard for a sandwich or is this reasonable? (BTW, the sandwiches are usually about $6-$7).
Old 08-23-2005, 05:24 AM

Default Re: To complain or not to complain?

that's a little overboard for a sandwich
Old 08-23-2005, 05:26 AM

True, but the point is it SHOULDN'T HAVE TO be so extreme. If they would have simply given me a new one it would have been easy. I feel like on principle I NEED to get this sandwich so they don't get away with screwing me then calling me a liar.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:30 AM

Seems simple. They owe you a sandwich and I'm sure if you take the time to write them about it you will get what is owed.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Last Wednesday, my family and I (we have relatives in from England) go to Panera to get sandwiches before we go to Ravinia (an outdoor concert where Aretha was performing).

We get there and realize one of the seven sandwiches is missing. A little annoying, we have to get a new meal from the food stands there.

On Sunday, I go in and tell the manager, the same guy that gave me our food, that he forgot a sandwich on Wednesday. He said since I didn't call in and didn't have a receipt there was nothing he could do.

As a side note, I know one of the kids that was working that day who said the manager realized and mentioned that sandwich was forgotten for one of the larger to-go orders.

It didn't seem necessary to call from an outdoor concert and I didn't even consider keeping the receipt. (Note that if I wanted to steal a sandwich, I could call after any take-out order and keep any receipt, claiming that something was missing).

I expected to get a replacement easily next time I went in. I now plan on writing them a letter online basically complaining and requesting a new one.

Am I going overboard for a sandwich or is this reasonable? (BTW, the sandwiches are usually about $6-$7).

[/ QUOTE ]

uber-nitty. is your VP$IP under 20 too?

fim
Old 08-23-2005, 05:38 AM

COMPLAIN. Not only did they mess up your order, the manager who denied you compensation KNEW they messed up your order. You have every right to pursue it if you want to expend the effort.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:43 AM

I can't believe this is close. The manager KNEW he botched the order, yet claimed no responsibility.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:48 AM

Just bend over and take it up the... Next hand.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:07 AM

Do you know what happens if they start giving out sandwhiches to everyone who claims not to have received one, presenting absolutely no proof whatsoever that they are in fact telling the truth, or that they are the ones who were affected, even if the manager is aware that one out of however many hundreds of orders got messed up?

Right. EVERYONE will start saying the same thing hoping to score free sandwhiches.

I'm sure it seems simple from your perspective for them to just dish out another sandwhich. From their perspective, I imagine it would be pretty simple for you to a) keep a receipt and b) make the complaint when it happens, not half a week later.

They're trying to run a business. They'd be happy to give you a replacement if you had proof, but you don't. Try seeing it from their point of view. I think you're being selfish, and absurd. If I were the manager I'd laugh at your letter and throw it in the bin where it belongs. It's a bloody sandwhich. Get over it, and be smarter about the situation yourself next time.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:11 AM

No one EVER has proof. Explain how calling about it right away or bringing in an old receipt shows that something was missing. As I posted above, a phone call or receipt shows NOTHING.

As a courtesy to honest customers, they should spend the $1 it costs them for a new sandwich to make them happy. I think it's also very rare that someone would lie about this type of thing.

I bet if an adult went in and asked for a replacement he'd have had better results than I did (I'm 19).