Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: A Thread to post colorful poolroom stories

I always read about how pool is a gambling game but then it seems like everyone is always playing for even money. isn't this more like playing chess for money?
Old 08-05-2005, 05:00 PM

I have to agree with this. I'll post some actual pool hall stories in the future.

After our local pool hall closed, it became the lunchroom for a company that moved into the building. My future wife at the time ended up working for that company and I met her for lunch one day at work. I left feeling so depressed.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always read about how pool is a gambling game but then it seems like everyone is always playing for even money. isn't this more like playing chess for money?

[/ QUOTE ]
It is a gambling game, but when some1 worse than you doesnt mind playing at 1:1, why would you offer to spot him a handicap or better odds?
There was this guy from china who played at the union pool room, (avg str8 pool break of about 35) and hed spot me a score of 40 in a race to 100 at str8 pool, playing one to one. Funny thing was, he would often insist to spot me 60+ when playing 1:1.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:29 PM

the fact that pool is a game of skill and the information is out in the open - like chess - means that the money gambled on it will always be smaller than in games where luck is a factor - like poker. Pool players are whining big time about the poker boom. They want guys to come in and lose their paycheck for a gambling thrill like back in the day. Isn't happening.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:30 PM

Back in the early/mid-90's, there was a great action room in the area, South Philly Billiards. I think it was Jimmy Fusco that ran it, and a guy who went by "Cornflakes" (known in the poker world as John Hennigan) took on just about all comers. One day, a young Shannon Daulton came in, and he and Flakes end up matching up in one-pocket, a race to 4 for 10k, with Flakes getting 9-7. Flakes was dominating, taking a 3-0 lead in games, and a 6-(-2) lead in the 4th game. Shannon battled back, eventually tying the set. In the last game, they were jockeying back and forth with one ball left on the table to decide the winner of the set (and anyone who ever saw him play will tell you that Flakes maneuvers a single ball around as well as anyone). Anyway, Flakes leaves the cue ball and object ball both frozen to the long rail adjacent to his pocket, about 5 diamonds apart. Shannon gets up there and banks it into his pocket at warp speed! The whole room, Flakes and Jimmy included, were absolutely stunned. After that display, Shannon set up the same shot again, except with the object ball barely beyong the side pocket, and banked it cross-side, turning the ball BACKWARDS. You'd have to have seen it to actually believe it.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bar pool stories always involve fighting over the money it seems. pool hall stories seem to focus on the nut cases who play the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only known one player who liked to hustle bars--let's call him "The Kid." He had a really fancy Richard Black cue that he carried in a fancy Felini case with "The Kid" embossed in the leather. He'd go around and play the eight-ball tournies at dance halls and topless joints. He'd be the only one with his own cue and, invariably, he would be asked about it.

He would respond: "Well, you see, I'm a pool hustler, and I find that having my own cue helps to keep me in stroke."

After he won the tournie, they would line up to play the hustler and lose their money. I guess they wanted to have a story to tell. After he had all the money (this was in the 70's and were talking about $5 and $10 games), he would do a couple of trick shots and leave. He was natural showman, but had a real deadpan demeanor. He'd set up the shot, explain what was going to happen, then sink the balls in a completely different way that made him look like an idiot. He left them in stiches.

He had a regular circuit, and would hit each place every 6-8 weeks. I went with him a couple of times, and when he walked in the door people would say, "It's the pool hustler!" and start buying him drinks.

The Kid would pull the same act in action rooms. He had an old Budweiser promotional cue that he kept in a ratty soft-plastic case. He had sawed off the ferule and had attached a good tip directly to the wood. When he walked in and started knocking balls around, someone would comment on it.

He'd respond: "Well, you see, I'm a pool hustler, and I find that having my own cue helps keep me in stroke."

The line would form.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After that display, Shannon set up the same shot again, except with the object ball barely beyong the side pocket, and banked it cross-side, turning the ball BACKWARDS. You'd have to have seen it to actually believe it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw Bugs Rucker to this to Ed Kelly in a game, warp speed and all. I lept out of my seat--I had no comprehension of how it was possible.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:48 PM

classic. Budweiser cue in the poolhall and a richard black in the dive. Nothing better than the people who come into the pool hall and really think their budweiser/camel/jack daniel's cue is great. Or the ones with the carved wood that cost $15 at the fair.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:52 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Anyway, Flakes leaves the cue ball and object ball both frozen to the long rail adjacent to his pocket, about 5 diamonds apart. Shannon gets up there and banks it into his pocket at warp speed! The whole room, Flakes and Jimmy included, were absolutely stunned. After that display, Shannon set up the same shot again, except with the object ball barely beyong the side pocket, and banked it cross-side, turning the ball BACKWARDS. You'd have to have seen it to actually believe it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you mind putting up some sort of diagram of what you mean here? If it's what I'm thinking....holy [censored].
Old 08-05-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
After that display, Shannon set up the same shot again, except with the object ball barely beyong the side pocket, and banked it cross-side, turning the ball BACKWARDS. You'd have to have seen it to actually believe it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw Bugs Rucker to this to Ed Kelly in a game, warp speed and all. I lept out of my seat--I had no comprehension of how it was possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lived 26 years in Chicago and never got to see Bugs play. I would have given my eye teeth just to watch him bank.

The trick with that shot is to hit it with a billiard-type stroke - I'll be happy to teach it at the next 2+2 poker and pool party.