Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Aces

What do you think of this line, I dont have any reads on villan.
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter

MP3 (t2530)
CO (t1450)
Button (t2660)
SB (t675)
BB (t1325)
UTG (t3045)
UTG+1 (t1820)
Hero (t3190)
MP2 (t2820)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t30, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t120</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls t90.

Flop: (t285) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t210</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t420</font>, Hero calls t210.

Turn: (t1125) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t270</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t2490</font>,
Old 03-29-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Aces

"What do you think of this line"

I think its pretty shitty.
Reraise on the flop so you can take later hands down when you miss. instead of people trying to push you around. Thats "my" line.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:33 PM

yeah, although im really aggressive anyways(i really dont have to worry about creating this image), and this was a 10 buyin so i dunno how observant people are gunna be.

I think what it comes down to is how often villan has a flush draw and if i can push him off it with a reraise.

If he is bluffing, i probably gain more this way.

If he has a jack i think i gain more this way as well. Lets say he is willing to call a push with a jack at any time. Then it doesnt matter what i do, all the money is going in. But if he isnt willing to call a push then i make more with this line as well.

So, it seems like the only time it is better is if i can push him off a flush draw, or if another jack comes on the turn.
Maybe im wrong though
Old 03-29-2005, 04:38 PM

Raise more PF
Bet the pot if not a little over it, make the flush draws get a bad price. this is a horrible flop to play passively trying to build up a pot...

I push on the turn.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:45 PM

how much should i be raising preflop 6bb?
I bet a little less than 4/5 of the pot, is that really that passive. And also do you assume the one caller is on a flush draw? Its not like this was a multiway pot.
Im not trying to sound sarcastic here if i am, Im seriously wondering
Old 03-29-2005, 05:01 PM

preflop i raise 150, calling 90 here as UTG is correct with a lot of hands..make him make a mistake.

UTG limped then called your bet, probably not wanting to.
People will limp utg with either a very strong hand hoping to trap, or suited connectors and small pairs, sometimes suited gappers if they are tricky.

knowing this the only hands calling you here are either way ahead or on an OESD and flush draw, depends on the player.

the turn bet it very suspicious, he has either his hit flush or OESD and wants you to call, or he is unsure about his kicker. perhaps KJ..perhaps an oddly played AK

so if im playing this flop its absolutely horrible for AA. its got potential flush draws and str8 draws. knowing this you need to pressure those hands into folding, early in a tournament some people like to lag it up and will push with 4 to a flush here as doubling up would allow you to go deeper into the tournament without winning a big pot and also allow you to double up with a real hand later on.

on the flop I push after he reraises, it wont bust you if you lose, and it will show other players you will make them pay to draw against you. If he misses people will read your reraises as a made hand and not a semi bluff. allowing you to do the same thing with a 4 flush.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:20 PM

thanks for the advice. I will try to apply it next time i play.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:28 PM

Re-raise the flop. If he is in a flush draw you may still induce him to chicken out. If re-raised, you're probably facing a set and can shut down.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:45 PM

Hi Dire,

Pre-flop:

Good

Flop:

On a less draw heavy board I would be happy to let your villain hang himself with AJ or some such, but in this instance there are a lot of hands that can beat you on the turn.
Any diamond, 8, T, Q, K or J has got to give you pause when going to raise all-in on the turn.
At this stage in a tourney I've got the range at KJ-AJ, 99-44, JT-KQ [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
You're only in great shape against two of these hands. I re-pop it on the flop.

Regards-