Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2004, 09:53 PM

Default Not Mature Enough For Poker

As the subject implies, I have decided that I am not mature enough to play poker any more. I have decided this after numerous cases of playing far above my bankroll and sustaining serious hits. Luckily, I'm still up about $200 for my career and that's the way it's going to be, for at least the next 5 months.

I've decided that I will play absolutely no internet poker this semester. There are numerous benefits to this decision. First of all, I won't lose any more money. Secondly, I suspect that my grades will greatly improve. Last semester I constantly found myself asking "Should I study or make money?" (I'm actually a pretty good player when I have myself under control). I can only imagine where my grades would be if I hadn't been so consumed by poker.

I own SSH, TOP, HPFAP, and TFPAP, as well as a few other books. Over the next five months, I plan to study them intently, so when I return to the game I will be a much better player.

I guess there are two reasons for me to post this. The first is how to overcome the root of my bankroll problems. When I have the money sitting in my PokerRoom account, it doesn't seem real. I seem to have a hard time appreciating money that isn't in my hands. Also, when I make a big win, I tend to think of the money as "won, not earned" and piss it all away immediately. For example, I had a great run at the tournaments and was up over $1500 one week, so I decided to hit up the $500 NL table... Three times. Do you have any tips for really appreciating the money, or is this just something that will come with time?

Secondly, I'd like you guys to help me enforce this decision. If you see me posting hands or bragging about a tournament or something during the next 5 months, call me out and publicly humiliate me, please.

Thanks a lot everyone.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Not Mature Enough For Poker

Being a good poker player requires one to devalue the money in front of you so as not to play scared. However, you've taken this to a higher degree than it needs to go. I would consider making up a strict cashout scheduele - keeping only what you need on the site.

Your decision seems like a good idea.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:17 AM

I love what you're doing. It takes someone mature to make that kind of realization. Hope you stick to the plan. I hope you stay active on the forums too. Any time you catch yourself slipping shoot me a PM and I'll tell you what you need to hear. Best of luck to you.

Cheers,

deacsoft

p.s. don't forget about that "trim" you got comin' over about 2:00pm
Old 12-24-2004, 06:30 AM

As a former professor, I can only applaud your decision to emphasize study.

I am appalled at students who spend excessive amounts of time playing poker. The grades you get are IMMEASURABLY more important than any money you can win.

You've got your priorities right, but you clearly have some doubts about your ability to stick to your decision. I hope you do so. At this stage of your life, your education is supremely important.

Regards,

Al
Old 12-24-2004, 06:39 AM

I dont know why so many college kids try to take up poker.

They are much better off studying hard and leeching off their parents.

Get a good job you enjoy, make big money and have job security.

When you become an underachieving 25yo with a crap job then you can take up poker seriously as a last resort.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:49 AM

I actually think poker has done wonders for my maturity level. It has tought me the value of money NOT spent, and given me the opportunity to enjoy my job (usually, heh) and look forward to advancement. I had zero direction in terms of what I wanted to do for a living, or even for a job, and poker has allowed me to focus on other things without worrying about whether I was going to have enough for rent. Winning poker is not "fun" poker most of the time, and being diciplined enough to play that way has also helped me see the value in things that aren't immediately obvious.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As a former professor, I can only applaud your decision to emphasize study.

I am appalled at students who spend excessive amounts of time playing poker. The grades you get are IMMEASURABLY more important than any money you can win.

You've got your priorities right, but you clearly have some doubts about your ability to stick to your decision. I hope you do so. At this stage of your life, your education is supremely important.

Regards,

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right. Get good grades and a good job. Then take that money and play. We want to win big money, not college loan residue...
Old 12-24-2004, 10:16 AM

Something else to consider is that you have to think about long-term money versus short-term money:

study vs. make money ... in the long-term -- studying WILL make you MORE money, in many situations.

In your free time, when you need a break from school, I see nothing wrong with a little poker -- but always always ALWAYS put your family, your study, and friends ahead of short-term things like improving your bankroll.

It's far greater +EV long-term than you'd think....

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 12-24-2004, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know why so many college kids try to take up poker.

Get a good job you enjoy, make big money and have job security.

When you become an underachieving 25yo with a crap job then you can take up poker seriously as a last resort.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a college kid playing poker, but only for disposable income. My schooling's paid for by scholarships...
Old 12-24-2004, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahem. What about those kids who can't leech off their parents because they don't have any money to give you?

Also I am already getting student loans, however it only covers my school and not my rent/food/entertainment.

Poker is the highest paying "job" someone my age could age.