Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2004, 06:28 AM

Default Eliminated Just Out of the Money? Worse feeling?

Just got 5th in a Party NL 20+2 2 table. Definately not a good feeling after investing all that time and effort and having to lose without any pay. Made a few shady mistakes, which makes it even worse because they cost me the tournament in the end when I think about it; plus I didn't attempt to steal as much as would have been good since the table was tight, although I was low stack.

Last hand was K10 in sb (me) vs K5 in bb. Made a crucial mistake previous hand by folding an OESD, wanting a "better spot". Anyways, it was folded to me and I pushed, he caught a 5 onthe turn (blah!) and I'm out.

Just wanted to get it out of my system and wonder if you guys go thru this type of thing often and if you think theres a feeling worse than this in MTT?
Old 12-08-2004, 06:38 AM

Default Re: Eliminated Just Out of the Money? Worse feeling?

Just trapped someones AK with KK and he of course sucked out on the river...the horror oh the horror...G-d I hate people that overplay AKo. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2004, 07:08 AM

Yes that sucks. Luckily my QQ held up against AJ earlier and I was able to get some chips (or maybe unlucky, because I got 5th). Anyways, I kinda trapped myself really bad with one hand. K6 in BB, 3 to the flop, board comes K 10 6, and I figure I can trap somebody. I check, EP bets about 1/6 of my chips (?), MP calls, I SHOULD HAVE pushed, no flush draw but the guys I was playing were pretty tight. Turn is an Ace, checked to MP who bets, i foolishly go all in (have him covered), BAM! he turns over QJ which holds up. UGH!
Old 12-08-2004, 07:41 AM

NO freecard there its not THAT strong of a hand to be trapping with.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:05 AM

yup, dumb mistake by me.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:22 AM

Really not that dumb in tourney play you gotta double up somewhere...Im just glad my 2nd poker text was SUPERSYTEM he is pretty intent on warning people not to play 2 pair(not the top 2) overly strong. Doyle is wise this is true. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2004, 09:04 AM

That is true I remember reading that. I did have top 2 on the flop however, so then would have been a great chance to come over the top for a raise.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Really not that dumb in tourney play you gotta double up somewhere...Im just glad my 2nd poker text was SUPERSYTEM he is pretty intent on warning people not to play 2 pair(not the top 2) overly strong. Doyle is wise this is true. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Against Doyle's competition, don't play 2 pair too strongly. Against typical Party competition, it's golden.

Sure, it's gotten me into trouble a few times, but you won't believe the crap people call with.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:27 AM

Worse feeling?

How about spending the third and fourth hours of a 1000-man tournament as chip leader, and then turning weak-tight and finishing 18th for a net profit of 12 dollars?
Old 12-08-2004, 11:29 AM

It does suck - my last $20 tourney I went out in 132nd place, top 130 made the money. I was in about 60th place at the time, got dealt KK, raised, BB called. Flop came AAK. BB bets, I raised all-in, BB called. He flips over AK so his full house beat mine. Felt like crap after that one - had I won that hand not only would I have been in the money but I would have been in real good shape to make it deep into the tournament. It definitely sucks after 3+ hours of concentration to get beat on the bubble like that.

I used to play just to make the money but now I'm trying to be more agressive and actually play to win. Because of that I have to accept I might go out on the bubble in an attempt to put myself in position to win the whole thing.