Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2004, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Good tourney NL holdem book?

I've heard that Cloutier and McEvoy's Championship NL & PL Hold Em is a good book to read if instead of applying their advice to NL & PL cash games you apply it to your play in deep stack tourneys without fast blind increases where you have time to be patient. I haven't ever read the book though so I can't say for sure.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:04 PM

Cloutier and McEvoy's Championship NL & PL Hold Em, does talk alot about specific tournament stategy, far more so than cash game play, an it is prety good.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:51 PM

Ero and others,
I've read the book, I hope that doesn't make my comments qualify as "running my mouth."
The book TPFAP is about tournament poker and the adjustments that a winning cash game player should realize that he will have to make to be successful at tournaments.
It does not teach you to play holdem. It is very forthcoming about that fact. It assumes you know how to play holdem, and the mechanics of the game.
The system is not what the book is actually about. It is just included in the book.
As for actual books teaching how to play NL, as opposed to NL tournaments, what I've been hearing lately is that the McEvoy Cloutier book is pretty good, and has good tournament play included.

If and when I actually read something that I think is good, BESIDES TPFAP WHICH I THINK IS QUITE GOOD, I'll make glaring posts to that effect.

citanul
Old 09-02-2004, 12:49 AM

Regardless of what I said I meant it was a book about tournies not nec. NL tournies, but tournies and general and the posters response to the original suggestion about TPFAP. Citanul, when I said "... running your mouth" I wasn't directing it towards you. I was directing it towards a poster who I think has a horrible attitude and the tone of his posts are rude and annoying. Oh well, there it is
Old 09-02-2004, 09:44 AM

I think the new book "No Limit Texas Holdem" by McEvoy and Daugherty is the best. It discusses how to play sepecific hands and specific flops. It is ostensibly for beginners, but anyone can profit from it. McEvoy and Daugherty's book "Championship Satellite Strategy" is also excellent.

Sklanky's tournament book is excellent, but most of it is not on no limit holdem, and Sklanky is mostly a limit cash player.

McEvoy and Cloutier have written several books "No Limit and Pot Limit Holdem", "Tornament Holdem Practice Hands", and McEvoy's "Tournament Poker". They all have good information and are worth reading, but I wouldn't follow all their recommendations. They state a lot of things in the absolute when there are a lot of exceptions. The ones Cloutier is involved in tend to give weak tight advice.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:52 AM

I love TJ and McEvoy's book. It's an easy read and gives you a lot of insight in to TJ's thinking.

DS's book is a good text. It's more out of the HEFAP mold in that it is text like not insight in to David's thinking. I have both of those and have gotten something out of each.

I actually think that Helmuth's garbage has some insight with respect to tourny's too.

Just realized you said don't tell you DS's book...okay...pretend I didn't Sobe... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]