Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Another Comp Build Post

If you’re getting interested in overclocking don’t skimp on the RAM. Once you’ve decided on a motherboard and processor check out the OC forums to see what they’re using for good results.

Once you start overclocking heat becomes an issue. I can’t recommend anything more strongly than a Thermalright heatsink ... even if you don’t OC the temperature drop over the stock cooler is dramatic.

This could just be a fluke but I have had three Western Digital drives; two of them didn’t last out the warranty and the third made it by about a month. I have never had a Seagate fail.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Another Comp Build Post

Ah the stupid overclocking forums have corrupted my brain. I have decided to go with an Opteron 144 processor instead of the 3200+. It has 1MB of L2 cache opposed to the 512kb of the 3200+. I guess it is more of a server processor, the quality control is better, and it responds to OC'ing very well. There are rumors of AMD stopping the selling of the Opteron to retailers, so I decided to jump on it now while I can. I also am going with a DFI Lanparty UT nf4 Ultra-D mobo and some 2x512mb Corsair XMS. It looks like this is gonna be some fun. Thanks for all the help.