Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Calling from the blinds

1.) I'm BB, MP1 raises, MP2 calls, Button calls, SB calls (so I'm getting 9:1).

Call all the hands you listed. The real question is if you have a hand like T8o. The odds against flopping a doozy are 8.5:1 so that is close. T7o is a definate muck.

Brad
Old 06-22-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The unsuited connectors, I the odds that I will flop a straight draw, straight, 2pair, or trips are 7.8:1 against, so it's still a pretty easy call.

It is 6.2:1 against for offsuit connectors if you remove all monotone flops.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's really useful; I added it to my little list of odds. Thanks!
Old 06-22-2005, 04:49 PM

A rule of thumb is to play the suited cards with a raise and 1 caller in the BB. I can't believe so many replies said they would play 98o and 54o. These are trash hands no matter what the odds and should be folded. If you want to play the nonsuited conectors, they need to be ten or above.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:55 PM

Getting 9:1 it's hard to fold anything remotely decent.

On the 5:1 example, there's only 3 guys. It seems most of the responses people hated K7o but were happy to play 34s. This seems wrong to me. With only 2 opponents, top pair or second pair hands become much more important and being suited is not very important. In other words, high card strength is what's important. K7o is much more likely to make a top or second pair than 34s or 54o. I'd play K7o before playing 98o or 34s or 54o, which is the order I'd rank them (this is dealing with the 3 players, 5:1 example).
Old 06-22-2005, 05:20 PM

The major pitfalls to these nonsuited hands are:
1. Your out of position
2. Even if you do flop a pair or better you will win a small pot or loose a big one.
3. Very few micro players can avoid overplaying with a weak made hand or a weak draw.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:22 PM

1st problem I'm definitely calling with J5s, second one I'm probably calling with 34s and possibly K7o if I'm feeling risky. On the last hand, I'm calling with 34s FOR SURE and 75% of the time K7o.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The major pitfalls to these nonsuited hands are:
1. Your out of position
2. Even if you do flop a pair or better you will win a small pot or loose a big one.
3. Very few micro players can avoid overplaying with a weak made hand or a weak draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of the hands played, K7o is the strongest. I'm sure it would do better than the other 3 hands listed, including 32s. That was my point.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:49 AM

A lot of interesting points made here. A few things that stuck out to me after reading the replies.

First, for those who would call J5s but fold 72s with 5 to the flop, is it because you think you'll win if you spike a jack or because your 7-high flush will lose more often than a jack-high flush?

Second, I thought tewall made a very interesting point, that with 3 to the flop that K7o is much better than 34s. I think this is absolutely correct.

Third, Shillx came up with some interesting statistics - did you compute these or do you have a list somewhere?

Thanks all, I think this is a pretty good discussion and it's interesting to see how differently some people play these.