Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2004, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Not Mature Enough For Poker

[ QUOTE ]

Do you have any tips for really appreciating the money, or is this just something that will come with time?

[/ QUOTE ]

You've seem to have led a pretty sheltered life - Get yourself a really crappy minimum wage job (part-time, obviously since you're in school) during your time away from poker. Something seriously back-breaking, repetitive, menial and/or humilating. Pay particular attention to the poor schmucks stuck doing it for a living who have to actually survive on that kind of money.

Or go do some volunteer work in a homeless shelter, soup kitchen, etc, and learn to appreciate what you have...
Old 12-25-2004, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The grades you get are IMMEASURABLY more important than any money you can win.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize that by "grades" you likely mean education, but hearing this from a former professor is really quite unsettling. Grades have virtually no importance for anything other than graduate school.

I don't usually nitpick about semantics, but your particular word choice coupled with the image I have of you from your books really surprised me.
Old 12-25-2004, 04:21 PM

As far as grades, it's just a cliche parents repeat over and over. The value of it is as much as 'wash behind your ears'. To put it with the word IMMEASURABLY is neat in a rhetorical sense but makes anyone who recognizes rhetoric kind of throw up in their mouth a little.

Now stop playing poker and start going to class. Just because you don't need a 4.0 for your job doesn't mean you can't have one and go to FREE grad school.

For the record, no, I don't wash behind my ears. I am told I'm quite clean by everyone though so I think I'm O.K.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually think poker has done wonders for my maturity level. It has tought me the value of money NOT spent, and given me the opportunity to enjoy my job (usually, heh) and look forward to advancement. I had zero direction in terms of what I wanted to do for a living, or even for a job, and poker has allowed me to focus on other things without worrying about whether I was going to have enough for rent. Winning poker is not "fun" poker most of the time, and being diciplined enough to play that way has also helped me see the value in things that aren't immediately obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly how I view poker. Unfortunately it was said in a way that I cannot add anything new, but I can say that I no longer feel the need to buy stuff like video games, DVDs, or other crap I used to buy. The only way to really start to value money is to start living on your own, and living on anything less than a $10/hr job is going to make you understand the value of a dollar.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:20 PM

Actually, grades DO matter A LOT for first jobs out of college. I make hiring decisions for my company and generally, we get about 50+ resume's for every entry-level position we post (new college grad, no experience, yada yada yada).

GPA is one of the fastest and easiest ways to screen out people from that list of 50. Fair? No. Accurate? Somewhat. Common practice? Absolutely.

You don't need the 4.0, but anything below say, 3.4 is getting pretty icky.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are much better off studying hard and leeching off their parents.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many people who do not have this option. Before poker I was making 6.50$ an hour (college towns SUCK for wages). Hell during my time playing 1/2 I was making 22$ an hour. I would have to work 30 hours a week and I was barely making ends meet (that was only paying for rent/phonebill/gas). I also had very limited time for studying. Now I am making between 1,000$-3,000 a month and have much more free time on my hands for studying.

Not to mention I have a much lower level of stress (despite how angry I get at bad beats still). While I feel there are many immature college kids who think they are a lot better than they really are at poker and continue to lose money and tell others they dont have a problem, for those who are good at the game and mature, poker can be a great thng.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:41 PM

They are much better off studying hard and leeching off their parents.

Yeah, good advice. 'Cause that'll teach them responsibility and give them a healthy monetary perspective. I very seriously think my decision in High School not to ever ask my parents for any money of any kind was one of the best things I did for myself.

GoT
Old 12-27-2004, 09:45 PM

<font color="blue">You will know the answer to this:</font>

[ QUOTE ]
For example, I had a great run at the tournaments and was up over $1500 one week, so I decided to hit up the $500 NL table... Three times. Do you have any tips for really appreciating the money, or is this just something that will come with time?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">When you don't need to ask for help with this:</font>

[ QUOTE ]

Secondly, I'd like you guys to help me enforce this decision. If you see me posting hands or bragging about a tournament or something during the next 5 months, call me out and publicly humiliate me, please.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">The answer lies within. See you in five months.</font>
Old 12-28-2004, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The answer lies within. See you in five months.

[/ QUOTE ]

so deep, Obiwan.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:56 AM

Not deep at all.

We can post it on 2+2 a hundred gazillion times, but it won't help anyone until they realize it for themselves.