Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 05:35 AM

Default Stupid hand or??

This is a hand that I probably played poorly, please tell me your line of action. My plan was to raise the turn but when BB raised I thought (hoped) that he was on a bluff raid and reraised.

Two questions. First is it all right to slowplay like this and go for the checkraise on the turn. Second how often do you think a raise from the BB in his position is a semibluff/bluff and a reraise from hero is in place?

BB is 57/13/0.99 over 170 hands and SB is a solid 25/14/3.67 (a bit aggressive) over 300 hands.

Cryptologic 3.00/6.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(6 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.00 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.00 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

River: (13.00 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 15.00 BB.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:42 AM

Default Re: Stupid hand or??

Raise the flop - you are giving up way too much by just calling, and allowing any draws to come along cheaply. If you had done this, the rest of the hand would be much easier to play.

Given that you didn't, I do like the turn 3-bet. You have a decent chance of being ahead, and you have a ton of outs to improve to essentially the nuts.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Given that you didn't, I do like the turn 3-bet. You have a decent chance of being ahead, and you have a ton of outs to improve to essentially the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but there is a high risk, low reward factor. By just calling, sb may call behind.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:51 AM

I don't like the flop so much. You alreayd have BB trapped so go ahead and raise the flop. If he has AK or AQ the solid TAG is going to 3-bet it and you can choose to cap.

When the BB raises like this I am not 3-betting. If you 3-bet you will most of the time knock out SB, but by calling you allow the times when you are ahead to pick up another BB from SB but don't often get re-raised. I think you are ahead of BB almost 100% of the time (only AA beats you which there is one combination of). So I think that you have to define BB's range. It would suck to get capped here, and against BB I am not sure how often we are ahead. But he has shown no care for the aggressors in this pot so I would imagine he has a flush/set.

SB has JJ----&gt;AA (we can probably discount AA because he fast played the flop) This is 24 combos, 12 of these will call the turn (ones that contain a diamond). He also has AK/AQ which I think he calls 80% of the time (is this a rubbish estimate?). So we have a total of 28 times out of 40 that he calls. approximately 60% of time he will call to showdown. So we gain 2BBs from the call down 60% of the time from SB, (1.2BBs on average). So 5.2BB from the call down and it costs 3BB and there is 6 in the pot. This is 11.2 : 3, with 7 outs for the flush (14% chance for improval) and 2/3 outs for the full house (4-6%) (total 20%)

I do however think that raising may give us a free showdown and there is a chance we have the best hand aswell as a chance to improve to the nuts.

I like calling here because SB will often call one more bet but will less likely call 2, and we don't want to get this capped with our draw + perhaps best hand.

I call the river for one bet, and raise any A/T/Xd river!

True
Old 12-23-2005, 08:57 AM

Correction: We definitley want this capped if we have the best hand.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Correction: We definitley want this capped if we have the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have chance to lose SB and BB would only cap when he beats you...
Old 12-23-2005, 09:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
we don't want to get this capped with our draw + perhaps best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just replying to what you said. I agree with the turn call, but if we have the best hand and a draw to the nuts, I'm a pretty big fan of cappage.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:53 AM

Raise the flop. SB will either have a pair (which he probalby won't fire with on the turn) or will have a better ace which will go multiple bets on the flop.

Krishan