Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 11:23 PM

Default nut flush draw, turn & river questions

Full Tilt 1/2 9 handed. EDIT: I have no stats because I haven't gotten pokertraker for my new computer yet. But my notes say:
SB is "LAG but not maniacal, raises light preflop".
BB is playing his first hand here.
MP1 is "very loose and fairly passive,".

HERO is CO with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Preflop:
2 fold, EP3 calls, MP1 calls, 1 fold, <font color="red"> HERO calls </font>, But calls, SB completes, BB raises, all call.
PF seems standard with 2 limpers and good position

Flop 12sb 6 players: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB bets, BB calls ,1 fold, MP1 calls, <font color="red"> HERO raises </font>, Button folds, SB 3-bets, BB folds, MP1 calls, <font color="red">HERO caps </font>, all call.
I think I have enough equity and good enough position to jam this pot

Turn 12.5 BB 3 players: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB check, MP1 checks,<font color="red">HERO bets </font>, all call.
I think I usually check this through. My reasoning to bet was that I thought MP1 might fold a bigger A, one (or sometimes both) could also have only a draw, and I thought this could set up a free showdown.

River 15.5 BB 3 players: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="red"> HERO </font> ?

All comments appreciated!
Old 12-12-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Re: nut flush draw, turn & river questions

Flop - Fine
Turn - Why not just take the free card? On the flop, you have a 33% chance of making your flush by the river. With 2 callers you are getting the 2:1 you need. On the turn however, you only have a 20% chance. Trying to get an Ace to fold is just too fancy. I can't see anybody going to 4 bets on the flop on a naked Ace.
River - Check behind. You may have the best hand, but there are a lot of hands that could have you beat. If you do, you aren't going to get a call from someone with a worse hand.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:16 AM

Bet! Bet! Bet! Bet that turn! Bet that River! There are simply too many bets in the pot to give a free river card. Get aggressive with a pot this size. And the river cries out for a bet. Sure you'll lose a few with big kicker aces. Sure you'll get called with a measly two pair on a rainy day. But more often or not the thousands of players who've never seen this forum or read SSHE will cower to those bets. I've damn near puked at hands I've challenged at these levels in big pots. How many times does that single river bet need to pay off to cover betting that river in that pot every single time! BET!
Old 12-12-2005, 01:02 AM

Bet the river, throw up in your mouth if you get raised and be prepared to swallow as you call unless you're an over caller in which case I might spit it out and fold (but less likely than calling).
Old 12-12-2005, 01:07 AM

I think the bet on the turn really depends on what percentage of the time you think MP1 will fold. If he's very loose and fairly passive, my (limited) experience is that he won't fold in this big a pot often enough to make this a +EV bet (assuming he has a stronger ace than yours). I'd have taken the free card. will he fold greater than 6-8% of them time in a big pot?

On the river, the pots so big I don't see a better ace folding to 1 bet from you so I'd check.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:48 AM

*grunch*

Preflop seems pretty standard.

I like the flop raise to clean up some overcard outs. The cap is not my style, but I can understand jamming for equity.

The turn seems pretty solid.

I'd probably check behind on the river here. I'm expecting to be shown 2 pair most of them time here.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:58 AM

you put MP on a stronger Ace? what would be his other card? i really don't think he's laying down a stronger Ace given he's called so much already for 1 bet on this blank turn. he's probably got a gutshot or OESD to go with it.

besides, it is possible you won't even win if you hit your Ace and you're splitting if his A is unpaired unless he has AK/T, which he is unlikely to fold to this turn. take the free card.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:08 AM

Grunch:

I find myself limping here with suited A frequently, although sometimes I raise with only 1 limper from EP. I'll be interested in seeing how others play this pf.

pf - Like I said, I also limp here a lot, but am not sure its the best play

flop - CALL! I cannot see a raise here as you have not made your hand. Use your position to raise when the spade hits. DO NOT CAP - that's just spewing.

turn - check for a free card!! This is a classic example of this technique. Betting still = spewing.

riv - interesting. I probably bet here, although it telegraphs my A.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:05 AM

Any post involving the phrase "throw up in your mouth" is gospel. Makes me laugh like Mutley every time I hear it.

There's no reason to go so crazy on the flop. There's a great draw to the nuts, but there's no need to play it so hard that people get chased out.

Easy check on the turn. This hand isn't winning &gt;33% of the time here, so betting isn't for value, and there is nothing to protect, so the bet serves no purpose. Take the free card. Nothing additional to say about the river.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:44 AM

Hi setzf. Pre flop and flop look good. The turn bet is bad IMO it is not for value and given the flop action it is not likely folding a hand you want to fold. It also opens you up to a check/raise by a made straight and putting two bets in here when you could have taken a free card blows. I would bet the river.