Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 09:37 PM

Default Rejecting God

a particularly religious friend of mine (Jon), recommended that i read a book called "The Case For Christ", because i had expressed my doubts on the evidence for certain events such as Jesus's ressuection. anyway i read it and was left feeling like i had gotten a biased opinion, or at least a biased analyzation of the evidence. my friend said that i seem to be so stuck in my own way of thinking (basically atheist) that there could be no evidence to change my mind, short of death and meeting Him myself.

Jon then said that at least when i die (although too late i think he was insinuating) i'd finally accept god because i'd have the ultimate proof.

i then told him that if i meet this God when i die and He is exactly like the christian faith depicts him and has the same views on what's right and wrong, i would choose to reject this God because of the way He felt on certain subjects (this was spawned out of a gay rights argument), such as gay rights.

this is a very strange thing to reject God and, well sentence urself to an eternity of hell based on principal alone

i have been reading the posts in this forum for a few nights now and noticed how many "generally non-believers" there were, so i was wonderring how many of you, if faced with meeting God and Him turning out to actually be the one of the christian faith, how many of you would be actually choose to give the perverbial "up yours" to your creator?

i do realize that this is somewhat strange to tell your creator "what's what", but i really can't see wavering on my opinions, even for the great one

Opinions?

by the way i'm not sure why i capitalize the g in God or H in him, so don't ask me
Old 09-18-2005, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Rejecting God

I would reject a god who condemns those who don't believe. This sounds right but cant be true for me because I don't believe and hence either I will not be given the chance to reject god, or god doesn't reject those who don't believe (does that make sense [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

Similarly with most other views/behaviors so the fact you are being given the chance to accept god, now that you are dead, means its not the god of christian faith.

chez
Old 09-18-2005, 09:53 PM

by "accepting God" my friend only meant in my own mind realizing that He is real .... Jon also pointed that out to me after i said it [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

thank you chez for being the first reply on my first post
Old 09-18-2005, 10:41 PM

If you found that it was the God of the Bible how could you fault Him for his stance on certain issues? He created everything, therefore He has the right if not the duty to determine right and wrong (for his creations). It would not be a feeling, but His law.

What if you created a computer, and it always said 3+3=8? You as the creator know this is wrong but the computer decides that it likes 8 better, and decides to reject you?
That is it's own choice which it will have to live with, but you know since you created it that it's not right.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you found that it was the God of the Bible how could you fault Him for his stance on certain issues? He created everything, therefore He has the right if not the duty to determine right and wrong (for his creations). It would not be a feeling, but His law.

What if you created a computer, and it always said 3+3=8? You as the creator know this is wrong but the computer decides that it likes 8 better, and decides to reject you?
That is it's own choice which it will have to live with, but you know since you created it that it's not right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should being the creator mean he has any rights? Just sounds like your opinion.

I would find fault with god if he punishes those who don't believe in him. It would be illogical of me to do otherwise.

and if I created a computer that said 3+3=8 then I would be at fault.
chez
Old 09-18-2005, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah but if the computer says 3+3=8, then the programmer made an error.

Same thing goes for the programmer of god's creations.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

opinions on many subjects are not set in stone as with 3+3=6 not 8. say that the programmer programmed that 3+3=8 and the computer(capable of learning from other computers and has it's own intelligence and free will), realizes that to it, 3+3=6 seems better, the computer could potentially be right.

now this assumes that God is capable of having faults.

assuming that god is faultless, someone programms that 3+3=6, can a computer be faulted for coming up with a defferent answer if the programmer has given it free will.

the question of my post(relating to this analogy) is that should the computer, if told again by thee programmer what is tru and dwhat is not, trust the programmer blindly when everything that it knows tells it a different answer.

this is expanded when the issue is one that relates to one's fellow man and is the difference between an eterenity in heaven or hell. could you stand by and be part of heaven knowing that a good friend of yours who is one of the most genuinely good people you've ever met, but doesn't believe the christian faith go to hell, or would you refuse to a part of god's little club?
Old 09-18-2005, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

the question of my post(relating to this analogy) is that should the computer, if told again by thee programmer what is tru and dwhat is not, trust the programmer blindly when everything that it knows tells it a different answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should people have believed Einstein even though everything they knew (Newtons physics) disagreed?

Youre just being incredibly stubborn. You said that if you met the Christian God (by definition the absolute authority on everything) that you would reject what you know to be the truth. Just silly. Would you ever consider this in any other area of your life.

I imagine that even the bashiest of the gay bashers would change their opinion if told by God that they were wrong. Who would you ever listen to if not an omnipotent all knowing God?
Old 09-18-2005, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who would you ever listen to if not an omnipotent all knowing God?

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't follow that because god knows the truth that he isn't being deceitful.

Any god that created me and condemns those who don't believe is either not good or deceitful.

Either way, rejecting the kingdom of god should be seriously considered.

chez
Old 09-18-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Should people have believed Einstein even though everything they knew (Newtons physics) disagreed?

Youre just being incredibly stubborn. You said that if you met the Christian God (by definition the absolute authority on everything) that you would reject what you know to be the truth. Just silly. Would you ever consider this in any other area of your life.

I imagine that even the bashiest of the gay bashers would change their opinion if told by God that they were wrong. Who would you ever listen to if not an omnipotent all knowing God?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would most deffinitely admit that i am extremely stubborn

i suppose that if God gave me information, previousely unknown to myself explaining how being gay or having premarrital sex or not believing him is as eggregious a sin as harming another person(i believe all sins are equal in the christian faith, correct me if i'm wrong), then i suppose i may be able to see his way, but i highly doubt that that information is there, and therefor i would choose to not be part of his crew(although i wouldn't be allowed in even if i wanted to)

i wouldn't want to associate myself with any god that would do this to people, and that's my own free will... i personally believe that i would care more about people in this situation and this makes me better than that God. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

---yes i said it