Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Do people think you guys are crazy with so many monitors?

I have a laptop and a 17 inch CRT on my desk at school. The CRT looks uber out of place so people ask why I have two computers. I say I have two monitors, they say why? I tell them I like to watch a movie on one and do stuff on the other. My roommate laughs and tells them he's never seen me watch a movie on it. So I sigh and tell them it allows me to play poker. They kind of just stare at me? Why do they stare?!
Old 10-19-2005, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They kind of just stare at me? Why do they stare?!

[/ QUOTE ]
I feel you, man. I almost never tell people I play poker online. They just don't understand. Multiple monitors to play poker sounds really lame to someone who doesn't play.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:30 AM

I have three computers and one monitor....
Old 10-20-2005, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Man is this a great thread . [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 10-20-2005, 05:50 AM

I have 6 monitors all 20" or larger and people are in shock when they see the setup for the first time. I say I'm in "web design" when they ask why I need them/what I use them for.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:52 AM

My roommates already thinking I'm some kind of junkie when i'm playing 4-6 tables, but if I had another moniter with 8 tables they would die. They already think my 20.1 Dell is too big, but can a moniter ever be too big, I don't think so
Old 10-20-2005, 06:06 AM

It's true about the male and female. Males thinks it's awsome and female always ask why the hell I need so huge monitors.

I have a quite good reason. All graphic designers need a lot of space and you can open up several programs and still see everything at the same time. If you think two 24" is nice wait untill I have enough money to buy two Apple Mac 30" LCD's [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a laptop and a 17 inch CRT on my desk at school. The CRT looks uber out of place so people ask why I have two computers. I say I have two monitors, they say why? I tell them I like to watch a movie on one and do stuff on the other. My roommate laughs and tells them he's never seen me watch a movie on it. So I sigh and tell them it allows me to play poker. They kind of just stare at me? Why do they stare?!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same setup (alas, no quad-LCD monitor setups here) and generally use the laptop for work and the CRT for poker, if I can concentrate on both. If I'm not working, I just use the laptop - I'm not huge into multitabling, unless there's a good reload or something I'm working on.

My wife thinks it's pretty cool. But she's comfortable with my poker playing because I won't have to take out a 2nd mortgage on the house if I lose a $5 S&G.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:46 AM

Poker Players - think I'm crazy for playing more than one table at once, they seem rather unimpressed with the 2 x 21" monitors.

Tech Heads - appreciate the sheer size of the monitors but don't get the idea that playing at 8 tables is better than 1.

Sister - Frowns everytime she see's the two huge monitors. Calls my poker playing an "addiction" which will surely lead me to great sin. When I pointed out the fact that my "addiction" pays more than 2x the wages she was earning at her part time job it made no difference, I'm still a sinner. This is also the same sister who used to baby her dogs, to the point of wiping their ass after they did their business (not exagerating). Once she popped out a few actual inhumane beings she then ignored the dogs that she had once showered with affection. Then when one of the dogs was about 10 and diagnosed with cancer she pawned the dog off on us, claiming they didnt want the dog to muddy up their new expensive house that they couldn't quite afford. Now I had the pleasure of getting attached to the dog and having to put it to sleep six months after our mother passed away. There is nothing quite like the joy of having a dying dog pawned off to you. Sorry for the rant, at this point I don't talk much to the sister anymore.

Friends - Stare and ask "why"? I always answer "poker", but they still don't seem to grasp the concept 8 times X BB's/hour is better than 1 x X BB's/hour.

Plan for near future is to add a 3rd 21" CRT monitor (all 3 will be CRT's) for another $100, bringing the total to a whopping $370 invested in a 3 monitor (1600x1200 res each) set-up.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have had dual monitor setup for years for work, way before I played poker. No girl that saw it ever really understood it, and every guy that saw it immediately recognized how awesomeness of it. My current gf kept asking why I had two computers when she first came over, and I would say I don't it is just two monitors, and she would say ok with glazed eyes.

about three months later she was actually watching me on the computer and watched me drag a window from one screen to the other, and she let out a little yelp, grabbed my mouse out of my hand, and started tossing windows too and fro. It was like a scene out of encino man I swear. funny stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got EXACTLY the same reaction out of a lady with my "dual wielding" monitors as I call them. Simply because the phrase "dual wielding" makes me laugh.

If i ever stay late enough at work ill take a pic of my trade desk. I have 2 monitors. Across from me are the head guys, one guy has 4 and 2 guys have 8. It is scary.