Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 01:15 AM

Default Re: I suck at Omaha 8OB stick to Stud8

I am a decent b&m O8 player in the 5/10 game at the mirage.But its very difficult for me to make money at pp online. plus a lot of players use poker tracker they "Cheat" or use odds software. so if you do not invest in the same software you are at a disadvantage.
You can read steve badger for free or buy the book by Zee.
If I were you i would stiick to stud 8 I have made the transition online and am winning at stud 8 online.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: I suck at Omaha 8OB

I didn't have any trouble with it, either, but it is not the type of book you want to read just once or twice, and figure that you've "got it."

You have to be realistic, take a step back, and quiz yourself on how often you are really making those plays, and what you can do to force yourself to play better here and there. Don't just let the book sit and collect dust, keep quizzing yourself on how "advanced" your play really is.

See if you can understand this excerpt well enough to go ahead and get the book.

http://www.twoplustwo.com/highlow.html

Good luck!

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2005, 05:37 PM

DJ-

Switch to Party .5/1, their ring games are unimaginably easier. I don't even bother with Stars' cash games any more.

O8 tournaments are often tough because they use the same blind structure for HE tournaments, and it just isn't enough time in O8. Luck plays a big factor, and it's necessary to make some quick scores early or you'll get chewed up quickly.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DJ-

Switch to Party .5/1, their ring games are unimaginably easier. I don't even bother with Stars' cash games any more.

O8 tournaments are often tough because they use the same blind structure for HE tournaments, and it just isn't enough time in O8. Luck plays a big factor, and it's necessary to make some quick scores early or you'll get chewed up quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Truck,

I am getting better - it takes a little time to figure out when to let go of hands, when to call and when to bet.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good section in S/S 2 by Mark Gregorich on O/8.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 07-25-2005, 09:18 AM

As a follow up...I spent a large part of the past week just playing .50/1 limit and cheap ($5/$10) limit SNGs just to get a feel for a game. After a little while, it seemed pretty intuitive that the nuts seem to show down quite often and that a lot of players at these limits will draw to the 3rd nuts in either direction.

Prior to this past week, I have probably played 2 hours of Omaha in my life. Toward the end of the week, my VPIP was quite low because I figured I didn't need to get involved in any hands where I didn't have an extremely powerful draw or the nuts already. I'm definitely going to find some reading material on this game because my winrate/placerate is already reasonably good. Granted, I haven't played anywhere near enough hands to get a decent sample size...but it really "feels" like the average player at this game just doesn't get it.

The thing I'm wondering now is, because this game seems so beatable at the lower limits, is there any worry that the player pool will dry up? I just get the impression that if you're bad at this game, you will get absolutely annihilated in the long-run, as opposed to hold 'em where you can still get very lucky for longer periods of time.