Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-29-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Catholic v. Christian

2nd century = 100s and 3rd =200s. And what is important is the amount of time between the death of the last apostle and a certain writing which narrows the gap 60+ years.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:20 PM

It all starts with being born again. Catholics and many Christian denominations differ from true Christians in how this is accomplished. Catholics believe priest-baptized infants are born again. This is false. Any religion that baptizes infants and declares them born again is false.

You need to be born of God to be a child of God and a Christian. There are many who try to follow certain philosophies of Christ. There are few who are His kinsmen.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2nd century = 100s and 3rd =200s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes... and 100s is 100-200 years after Christ, and 200s is 200-300 years after Christ. Year 299 = 3rd Century = 299 years after Christ = 200-300 years after Christ.

(I should have said 100-300 years after Christ in my first response.)

[ QUOTE ]
And what is important is the amount of time between the death of the last apostle and a certain writing which narrows the gap 60+ years.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point was that the book of Acts which "documents" beliefs and practices of the first Christians (Apostles), is used by many Pentecostal denominations as a "guidebook" on "true" Christianity. I'm not sure how your response addresses this -- not that it matters, anyway.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:54 PM

Doesn't matter what the difference is, it is all made up.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It all starts with being born again. Catholics and many Christian denominations differ from true Christians in how this is accomplished. Catholics believe priest-baptized infants are born again. This is false. Any religion that baptizes infants and declares them born again is false.

You need to be born of God to be a child of God and a Christian. There are many who try to follow certain philosophies of Christ. There are few who are His kinsmen.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I read mindless, evil, hateful crap like this, I start thinking that human society will only move out of our infancy when all religion is purged forever from this planet.

Then I remind myself that as a libertarian I believe that even idiots like this have the right to believe their silly little fairy tales.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:47 PM

Excellent point on infancy.

Some of you guys have been scared into your beliefs.

Have you ever asked yourself the question, "What would I believe in if I was born in Japan or India?"
Old 12-29-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes... and 100s is 100-200 years after Christ, and 200s is 200-300 years after Christ. Year 299 = 3rd Century = 299 years after Christ = 200-300 years after Christ.

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe the scholarly opinion is that Jesus was born around 5 BC and died around 33 AD, so the gap between the 2nd century and Jesus's death would be around 60-70 years.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:55 PM

"Catholics believe priest-baptized infants are born again. This is false"

You are almost certainly correct. Nice to know a few posters on this forum can think straight.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:56 PM

That's what got me to drop Christianity [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you google for "Didache", also known as the Teaching of the Twelve Apostles, which was written in the 100s but only rediscovered in the mid 1800s. It is a primer for early christian converts to be baptized and gives the best synopsis of christian moral teachings I have ever seen. But check toward the end of it where it discusses forms of baptism. The very early christians did not believe and practice like you, whose doctrine can only be traced to the 1500s.