Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-28-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Taking a weird line with AKs

Reads: I'm 3-tabling & my other two tables are both 6max, so the coldcall preflop was a semi-misclick. Anyway, this is my first orbit at the table, so I have no table image. UTG+1 is very LAGgy over ~50 observed hands: 40/20/4'ish. MP1 is pretty well unknown, but has looked a little loose but typical over ~20 hands. Button is a VPIP 75 calling station extraordinaire over the same 20 hands.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (13.40 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (6.70 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls, intending to see what the calling station does &amp; go from there

My intention is to fold immediately if Button raises, or call a bet from UTG+1 unimproved on a non-[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] river if Button folds. I'll flip a coin if Button flat calls the turn bet. How much do you hate it?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Taking a weird line with AKs

I would bet the flop. I doubt UTG has anything better than ace high here, and probably doesn't even have a diamond. I think he is likely on a bluff.

While an argument can be made for a turn iso- raise, your line looks pretty good.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:46 PM

wat r u doing not capping pf like you should, not betting out the flop and why call the bet on the turn with no piece
Old 12-28-2005, 10:03 PM

i would bet the flop and fold the turn...

on the flop you hand is more likely to be good since the preflop raiser didn't lead and going for a c/r is less likely since he was the last aggressor preflop (and hes a lag)...

that is a pretty crappy turn card completes flush and is somewhat in the playing zone, it also dirties two of your outs, i would just toss it...
Old 12-28-2005, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that is a pretty crappy turn card completes flush and is somewhat in the playing zone, it also dirties two of your outs, i would just toss it...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm calling UTG+1's turn bet because I think I already have the best hand, so potential outs don't really factor into it.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wat r u doing not capping pf like you should, not betting out the flop and why call the bet on the turn with no piece

[/ QUOTE ]

I should've bet the flop. When I checked, I'd actually intended to fold if Button had bet, and fold the turn if anything other than what happened did.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:02 PM

" I think I already have the best hand"

well if you feel like this, then i think you should raise for a free showdown...given your read if you just call then the calling station behind you will probably call and he is probably drawing very live against you, but may fold a hand with 6 or more outs if you raise...
Old 12-28-2005, 11:05 PM

I should probably have phrased that differently. I think I have a better hand than UTG+1 does at this point in time, and I believed that Button would call 2 bets with any hand he'd call 1 bet with (i.e., any made hand or draw).

FWIW, I'm pretty sure I misplayed every street in this hand, just giving my reasoning (or lack thereof) for it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2005, 01:50 AM

I disagree about not auto-checkfolding the river UI if Button calls the turn after you.

I'd probably also raise if I were going to continue with this hand. You say UTG+1 is pretty laggy so I'd want to raise and knock out some better hands that Button may hold. If Button and UTG both call your raise you may get an oppurtunity to showdown cheaply if UTG checks the river.

Edit: I feel folding the turn is best.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:07 PM

Just to specify, I would usually raise the turn in this spot if I didn't fold. In this case, though, with a total calling station behind me, I felt that raising would accomplish nothing more than making me put another BB into the pot. So that's why the flat call on the turn; with a more reasonable player behind me it's an easy raise here.

Anyway, like I said, I probably misplayed every street. I should've capped preflop, and normally do, but between action on my two short-handed tables &amp; making a snap decision here, I just coldcalled the 3. I'm not so sure that I should've bet the flop, as I don't see how it's going to get anyone to fold anything with the pot that size, let alone a better hand. The turn I should probably have folded.

Button did fold for 1 bet behind me on the turn. The river was a brick, UTG+1 led again, I called and MHIG vs. his A6o. This was one of two hands that I felt I misplayed badly last night, but which worked out well for me in the end.