Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 12-11-2005, 04:59 AM

Default Odd rule at Resorts East Chicago

Last night at Resorts East Chicago there was what I thought an odd call by the poker room manager. The game was 10/20 holdem with a ½ kill. Player with the kill was in the small blind and posted $15. Everybody folded to the small blind who asked the big blind if he wanted to chop. Both players agreed than the dealer said that you cannot chop a kill pot. So the big blind put $5 more in and both checked to the river. It turns out both players had the same hand and both take there blinds back. Now the dealer tells the player with the kill button to post a kill again. The player says I didn’t win anything so the card room manager is called and agrees with the dealer. I feel that this was a bad call by the card room manager.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:16 AM

Default .... rule at Resorts East Chicago...you SURPISED? Wise up.

Fact is, the "rules" in that poker room will REMAIN AMBIGUOUS. The BOTTOM LINE is how the "house" benefits in the long run. The players have NEVER been in the equation.

The floor staff of that room under Harrah's and now Resorts have a track record of marching orders which have them interacting with patrons in the most devious, tricky, and dishonest manner imaginable. They are experts at deflecting and dismissing player complaints.

(The floor staff of that joint have always been trained/instructed "in house". That room has never been operated in what could be construed as a "professional" manner. It's the East Chicago Indiana version of a poker room.)

[ QUOTE ]
Last night at Resorts East Chicago there was what I thought an odd call by the poker room manager. The game was 10/20 holdem with a ½ kill. Player with the kill was in the small blind and posted $15. Everybody folded to the small blind who asked the big blind if he wanted to chop. Both players agreed than the dealer said that you cannot chop a kill pot. So the big blind put $5 more in and both checked to the river. It turns out both players had the same hand and both take there blinds back. Now the dealer tells the player with the kill button to post a kill again. The player says I didn’t win anything so the card room manager is called and agrees with the dealer. I feel that this was a bad call by the card room manager.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-11-2005, 07:02 AM

Default Re: .... rule at Resorts East Chicago...you SURPISED? Wise up.

Hahahaha, Resorts sucks. This shouldn't be news to anybody.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Odd rule at Resorts East Chicago

I'm surprised by the responses you've gotten to this. It certainly sucks for the SB in this case, but I think the ruling was technically correct. Let's stipulate that:

<ul type="square">
*No chops on a kill pot. That's the rule in that room, no one is saying it isn't, right?
*When the killer wins a hand, even stealing the blinds, the kill remains in place.
*The hand was played all the way to the river, the blind(s) were not stolen by the killer.[/list]
The ruling seems completely correct to me. Yes, yes, the SB got the short end. Tough. I played in that game Friday night and rarely have I seen more pathetic nittage and whining from players I know to be experienced.

Regards,

T
Old 12-11-2005, 12:44 PM

It's normal that if you had the kill in a chopped pot, you keep the kill (as long as you were one of the chopees).
Old 12-11-2005, 02:19 PM

What was the Poker Manager's name? Or statue?

They do have some inconsistent there and I don't care for that but that ruling is wrong and goes against common practices. By the way you can chop a kill pot. So both the dealer and the manager don't know what the hell is up.

Verbal
Old 12-11-2005, 02:50 PM

As far as whether you can chop a kill pot or not I am not sure about that one.

But as far as having to kill again after you were involved in a chopped pot, that is common practice. Inconsistant or not....

So even if they let you chop or not, luckily for him it ended up in a chop anyway. Either way he should of been the kill button again.

Again to recap. You dont lose the kill button when you are involved in a chopped pot. Sometimes it sucks but thems the rules.

(Im not saying they suck though as far as the other rules like whether you can chop a kill pot or not)
Old 12-11-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

By the way you can chop a kill pot. So both the dealer and the manager don't know what the hell is up.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure about that? I've seen the situation a few times both there and at Trump, and I've never seen the players allowed to chop.

Regards,

T
Old 12-11-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way you can chop a kill pot. So both the dealer and the manager don't know what the hell is up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to know what your credentials are for making that claim. Many of the posters here who make affirmative statements like that are either dealers or floorpersons.

Others usually provide a source, ie. If I cite a rule I will say it came from the floorperson at XXXXXX or I heard it from Al Capone/Randy R/Photoc on these boards.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:15 AM

Regardless whether it's normal to keep the kill button if killer winds up splitting the pot at the end... it's sure not normal for there to be a kill at all on the next hand if the hand is checked through every street. The few places I played kill games (admittedly not in the midwest) the button automatically goes in the middle if the pot is less than 5 big bets.

So, sounds like the floor accidentally got it right. If he floor HAD tried to say to post a second time, I'd be out the door.