Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 08:13 PM

Default ethics - do you point this out?

Ok, heads up in home game. A 3rd friend is dealing.

We get all in on a 88x flop with 2 hearts. I have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in my hand. My opponent has 87.

He has slightly more chips than me so essentially this hand is for the win.

The turn is a blank and the river comes 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Giving him a boat and me a flush. I'm about to say that that's the worst card that could have come, when he has a mini-spazz and ships me the pot. The dealer is also oblivious and has in fact started collecting the cards.

Do you say anything?
Old 12-06-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: ethics - do you point this out?

yes ;o

Definitely in a home game...i have no reason to want to steal my friends money.

In a more professional game though, that might be different...I may just keep my mouth shut and let them try and realise it themselves.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, heads up in home game. A 3rd friend is dealing.

We get all in on a 88x flop with 2 hearts. I have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in my hand. My opponent has 87.

He has slightly more chips than me so essentially this hand is for the win.

The turn is a blank and the river comes 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Giving him a boat and me a flush. I'm about to say that that's the worst card that could have come, when he has a mini-spazz and ships me the pot. The dealer is also oblivious and has in fact started collecting the cards.

Do you say anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, if he later recounts the hand to himself and realises you screwed him then what will they think of you. Tell them the truth, for a selfish reason.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he has a mini-spazz and ships me the pot.

The dealer is also oblivious and has in fact started collecting the cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry John...

-ZEN
Old 12-07-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yes
Definitely in a home game...i have no reason to want to steal my friends money.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-07-2005, 04:01 PM

In a home game with friends, point this out. You look like the hero. In a home game with enemies, different story.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:47 PM

I can't believe what I'm hearing!
You should point it out at a friendly home game because he's your friend or because he might figure it out later and be upset with you. But otherwise, it is OK to take the pot if the person is not your friend or if you're in a real card room?

These sound like nice rationalizations for poor behavior but they are certainly not ethical justifications for it. Not pointing this out is the same as stealing and therefore is almost never ethically justified. The case presented here is a slam dunk. There is no ethical dilemma here.

I don't know the original poster personally but I get the impression that he already knew the answer to his question and I hope that he is only looking for validation that he did the right thing. But it could be that he did the wrong thing and is now looking for help rationalizing his poor behavior.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:04 PM

This is very unlikely to happen in a real cardroom, as the dealer knows the hand rankings. At the same time, it is your job, not mine, to know the rules of poker when you sit down to play it. And you are right there is no ethical dilemma here, but that doesn't mean that there is no dilemma on which choice to make given the situation.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:38 PM

LOL the same thing happend to me in a game and i just went by who i liked better the other guy that lost and got the chips or the guy that actually won. Its not your fault. No ethics involved. Poker is about lying and winning money. Dont say anything baby
Old 12-08-2005, 12:54 AM

Bad,

You should point it out. Both because it is the responsibility of all players to ensure the integrity of the game, and because if the viallain realizes later on, you are [censored].

TONY