Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 11:54 PM

Default Using a min-raise in PLO

joewatch said in another thread that there is no place for the min-raise in PLO. I disagree, I think that PLO is one of the few poker games where there is a place for the min-raise.

Right after I read that this hand came up. What do people think of the min raise here?

100 PLO, $1-$1 blinds

Stacks: Villain in SB $117, Me in BB $131, Limper $164, preflop aggressor $180.

Villain SB is often very aggressive on the turn with semi-bluffs.

Hero is BB with As Jh 4s Kh

1 limper, tricky aggressive player in CO raises to $5, SB villain calls, I call, limper calls.

Flop (Pot = $20) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain checks, I check, limper checks, preflop raiser checks

Turn 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain bets $11, I min raise to $22, everyone folds, villain calls

River (pot = $62) 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain checks, I pot it, he folds.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:38 AM

Default Re: Using a min-raise in PLO

what does min-raising accomplish here that a 1/2 to 3/4 PSB doesn't do better? Not a rhetorical question i just would like to hear you justify it. Obviously it worked here but what does that tell us?

The one thing I can think of is that it left you enough money to bluff bigger on the river.

I for one don't like to talk in absolute so I wouldn't say that there is no place for min raising in PLO period. But I rarely min raise. In this spot if I was going to make a move it would have been stronger. But that's consistent with my overall style. Having an integrated game is the important thing to me. Maybe min-raising fits in with your style.

But, there is this little thing about giving draws nice odds. Also, as you move up, people will not let you get away this very often.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:06 AM

I need cheap information. Do the people behind me have a wheel? Does the Villain? But the min-raise makes it hard for them to make amove on me, cause it suggests that I have either the wheel or a set that whiffed a c/r on the flop.

When he calls the min raise I know he is on a flush draw, and its a decent one. He is a reasonably tight player, but he called the preflop raise, so I suspect that he has a pair in his hand as well or some connected cards higher than 34. I am pretty sure he has like KcTcTxX after that, or like Qc8c9xX. If not, he has two pair, but i can drive him off that on the river if I get him solo.

The point is that sometimes the min raise is the best way to gather information without letting the pot get too big. And if you use it for this purpose but sometimes mix it in with the impenetrable nuts, its a tool worth employing. More so in PLO I think than in NLHE because pot control is so important.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:23 AM

Well-written post but doesn't answer my question really. Doesn't a bigger raise get you the same information with more fold equity when your behind and more value when your ahead?

I think if information is the only goal of a raise its a bad idea. Maybe you get away with that here but higher up the guy with the FD is going to gas it when you min-raise and smile as he drags another pot from you.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:31 AM

If a club had fallen on the river, you would have been very sad that you minraised.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:50 AM

The problem in learning poker lies in the fact that you are frequently rewarded by winning the pot in hands you misplay.

You price in a lot of hands here that would not call a bigger bet, as well as minimize your value against hands that would've called a bigger bet anyway.

You misplayed the flop and river as well. You suffer from a sever case of FPS.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:54 AM

This post has nothing to do with poker, I just wanted to say that is a damn good-looking cat.

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2005, 02:01 AM

I just realized we need that british guy to join this thread and defend small bets
Old 11-08-2005, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You suffer from a sever case of FPS.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, I'll bite. What's FPS?
Old 11-08-2005, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You suffer from a sever case of FPS.

[/ QUOTE ]