Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 10-04-2005, 06:16 AM

Default Overplayed AQ?

5/10 6max Pacific.

villan seems like an alright player, sat down with almost 5 thousand in a 5/10.

1 fold, villan calls, i raise w/ A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], rest fold, villan 3 bet, i cap.

4.5 BB (2 players)
3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

he bets, i raise, he calls.

6.5 BB
8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

he check calls me.

8.5 BB
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

he bets, i raise, he reraises, i cap.

appreciate it
Old 10-04-2005, 06:34 AM

Default Re: Overplayed AQ?

Don't know how loose this guy is, but if he allways limps with pocket pairs and any ace, then there is more ways for him to have a set than a worse two pair.

On the other hand, his play looks like a worse 2 pair (A3/4). A set we would expect a check-raise turn or whatever. The lead/3-bet on the river suggests the Ace improved his hand, and we can't give him credit for AA. I would cap the river.

If he had 88, oh well, you got pwnd. Power to him for representing the 2 pair.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:47 AM

I don't cap a limp-reraise preflop with AQo.
And when that A hits the river, I'm not so sure about capping. Alot of the times a limp-reraise from an "allright player" means he has AA-KK maybe QQ. So he could easily have slowplayed his QQ or AA.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:11 AM

I missed the limp re-raise, duh. That changes everything...
Old 10-04-2005, 07:32 AM

This guy's line is insanely wierd. It seriously makes no sense at all. If he has aces then the only thing he is behind on the flop and turn is QQ, why would he have slowed down so fast? AK could be a possiblilty but I dont really see him limp rerasing with that and dont see him 3betting the river. The only thing that he can have that would really make sense anyways is 33/44/88. 88 would seem wierd to to CR on the turn so my vote goes to 33/44.

That said, his line is so wierd that it could mean just about anything and I would probably end up capping the river out of confusion.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:11 AM

Dont get why you capped on the river. Limp re-raise is consistent with AA. Since you capped PF, he could put you on something like QQ perhaps which slows him down, but he still decides to call down as the pot is pretty large and he has top pair. On the river he dings the case Ace and is no longer worried about QQ.

Since you pretty much told us you lost the hand and the only hands beating you are 5-2, 33, 44,88, QQ, or AA, vilain is most likely to have QQ or AA based on the preflop betting. With any of those hands other than AA he would likely check-raise the turn. My guess his he got worried about the QQ on the flop which leaves AA and he dinged the third one on the river, which explains the sudden aggression.

Overall, I think you played the hand well enough. On the river, I might have just called, as I dont think he would be bluffing very often, but in all likelyhood, I would raise. When he threebets i make the crying call.

All in all it seems you played it right, although you may have saved 1.5 bets by not capping PF and River.

my $0.02
Old 10-04-2005, 10:38 AM

appreciate all input, he indeed had AA.

but i guess i was too set on AK when he didn't 3 bet the flop, or checkraise the turn. but i guess as you guys said he feared QQ.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
appreciate all input, he indeed had AA.

but i guess i was too set on AK when he didn't 3 bet the flop, or checkraise the turn. but i guess as you guys said he feared QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, the only thing I can think of is that he "knew" you "knew" he has aces, due to his limp/reraise, and therefore you are only raising that flop if hes beat. he still played it like a pussy.