Flop was 10h,Jh,As
Preflop the pot=about $7
w/3 players
First P raised $4
Next P raised $16
I went all in making it $110
Player 2 calls w/ Ah,4h
The turn is a heart.

Did he make a bad call(talking about after the flop), considering that he saw me playing a pretty tight but aggresive game? What were his chances?
Thank you so much
Old 09-02-2005, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Is this considered a bad beat?

Yeah I would say it is definitely a bad beat. You had the nut straight on the flop and he called around a $100 bet on a draw. He got lucky.. I would say it is a bad beat, and thats poker.
You could have probably played more agressive before the flop, A4s isn't that strong of a hand pre-flop.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:42 PM

I'm sorry I should have titled this "what were his chances" were they approx 1/3. Also, how small of a bet would i have had to make to give him proper odds to call? Thank you
Old 09-02-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A4s isn't that strong of a hand pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

And KQ suited is? Preflop the KQs is about a 43 to 57 dog.

This is more of a bad beat story than a bad beat.

He made a bad call yet he will still win the pot 40% of the time. From his perspective if you had any hand other than the nut str8 or a set he becomes anywhere from a slight to a major favorite. Against the entire range of hands he might put you on from his perspective he made the right call.

Remember he cannot see your hand before he has to make his decision.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:53 PM

Thank you Jimbo, I was thinking that if i was in that position, i probably would have called as well. So YOu think he made the correct call with out a doubt?
Old 09-02-2005, 10:56 PM

I've been drinking a bit tonight before hopping online, but I hardly think that someone with four to the flush on the flop hitting can be a bad beat...True, he should not have called to be +EV, but its not the first time people have gone against the odds and hit. I think of bad beats as being four outs or less. He had a good percentage to hit. For his odds to be right, he either needed 2 to 1 basically...plus his implied odds. With you hitting the straight, I'm sure he had decent implied odds but not the correct ones
Old 09-02-2005, 11:02 PM

I know you're drunk, but there are no implied odds after you're all in.
thanks
Old 09-02-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you Jimbo, I was thinking that if i was in that position, i probably would have called as well. So YOu think he made the correct call with out a doubt?

[/ QUOTE ]

No his call was incorrect but I can see why he made it from his perspective. You played the hand well, he played it poorly but that doesn't mean squat in the short run.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:27 AM

Not a bad beat. Not a great decision by the caller, but it's not a bad beat.
In my opinion, a better way to have played the hand would have been to call the flop. When the third heart came out on the turn, then you slow down. If he moves in on you, you fold. If the heart doesn't come out on the turn, he's not going to call your all in. But, on the flop he has 37% chance to make the flush as opposed to 19% after the turn card misses. If i were him, I wouldn't have called that large of a bet. I just don't like to put my stack at risk on a draw against a made hand. I prefer to put my money in when I have the best of it. But I would have waited until the turn to determine if I had the best of it.
When you put someone in like that, they can only call you with a very strong hand or a strong draw. That's what he did.
Be careful with KQ in NL hold em. They say it's a decent hand that plays well in multi-pots in limit, but in NL you can get into way too much trouble with it. I mean, you hit the dream flop, but a risk-taker outdrew you after the flop.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:34 AM

A flush draw on average is 2-1 to hit. A long way from a bad beat.

If he had A4 off suit and hit runner runner full house, that would be a bad beat.