Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Up and coming NBA players

My fantasy basketball season is starting up again (it's a year-round 16-team dynasty league complete with salary cap and developmental roster spots). I figure I'll draw on the collective forum wisdom.

Two questions:

1. What are some sleeper players who really figure to break out next year? These could be regular starters who really are coming around and could be top notch guys, young bench players who figure to get more PT, etc. I'm looking for guys 27 years old or younger. Known players who still have upside count, Joe Johnson or Larry Hughes for example.

2. Who are some quality guys in the draft that you think will be solid NBA players. I want guys who will likely contribute somewhat in their first year. Think 20 mpg or more.

If it matters, we 9 categories:

FT% FG% 3pt%
rebounds assists blocks steals points turnovers.

To help the discussion, here are some guys I'm already looking at (many of whom I couldn't acquire for all the tea in China). Comments on them are appreciated.

In no order

Al Jefferson
Josh Smith
Chris Bosh
Primoz Brezec
Andre Iguodala
Chris Kaman
Jameer Nelson

For the record, here is my roster (we start 12):
C Dampier
C Lorenzen Wright
C Brian Grant
C Vlade
C Francisco Elson

F Battier
F Brand
F Chandler
F Garnett
F Prince
F Tim Thomas
F Austin Croshere

G Arenas
G Rick Brunson
G Cassell
G Ben Gordon
G Hinrich
G Devin Brown

Developmental squad:
C Mario Kasun
G Carlos Delfino
G Quinton Ross
Old 06-18-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Up and coming NBA players

Sebastian Telfair will most likely get a lot of playing time next year, as well as Joel Pryzbilla.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as well as Joel Pryzbilla.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Theo? Also, is there a chance they play Zach at the 5 ala Amare?
Old 06-18-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
as well as Joel Pryzbilla.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Theo? Also, is there a chance they play Zach at the 5 ala Amare?

[/ QUOTE ]I think Joel proved himself down the stretch to be better than Theo last year. As for Zach, his shoulder is [censored] up ala Jamal Mashburn. I would expect to see him playing PF and not center. Although, I think there is a good chance that Portland makes a few trades and dumps some of their older players. Remember, Damon will be gone, so will Van Exel and Shareef.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:26 PM

All the Celtics young guns. I hope that Ainge cleans us out of all the old men and lets the young guys play more.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All the Celtics young guns. I hope that Ainge cleans us out of all the old men and lets the young guys play more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who other than Allen and AlJef?

Do you think Allen can really be an NBA starter? What about his shooting?
Old 06-18-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who other than Allen and AlJef?

Do you think Allen can really be an NBA starter? What about his shooting?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think given some PT, Perkins could develop into a great center. He is very large, very intense, and probably just needs to work on conditioning.

Delonte is a natural player who does everything well.

TA is VERY athletic, crashes the boards, plays great D, and will probably spend a lot of time working on shooting this offseason.

All AlJef needs to do to become an elite PF is work on conditioning (playing 40 min/game is what I'd like) and work on his skills in double teams. Again, this is achievable.

IMO, Banks is already there and just needs to be given the reigns to the team. His head may be a little screwy as it was clear that the C's did better when GP was on the court then Banks (although GP is an elite PG and has TONS of experience).

So basically I think that out of the bunch only AlJef will contribute this year, but I'd look at TA and Perk as long term guys. Banks and Delonte are both great in their own ways, but I prefer Banks although Delonte is probably a better leader at this point.

For fantasy contribution I don't think TA will be that good this year, but maybe towards the end of the season we will notice him as a more controlled, better shooter.

Edit- to be more concise here's how long until they're solid contributers to the roster:
AJ: Next year (20-30 MPG)
Delonte: Depends on the status of GP but I think he could get 10-15 this year and when we finally get rid of Pierce, be a good 6th or 7th man off the bench
Banks: This year depends on GP, but I could see him being the starting PG and being very, very good. I have very high hopes for him and just think he needs to mature a tiny bit more.
Perkins: Will be a GREAT center as soon as he's in top shape/the Celtics management realizes how good he is.
Allen: Will either be a starter or quick off the bench this year, but will put up solid minutes either way. He's only a jump shot away from being an elite 2 guard.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:44 PM

Nick Collison really started to impress late last season.

You know that I loathe Phil, but I think Lamar Odom will really flourish under Jax.

I love Igoudala...what about Dalembert?
Old 06-18-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
think given some PT, Perkins could develop into a great center. He is very large, very intense, and probably just needs to work on conditioning

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. That's the kind of stuff that really helps. I won't have a roster spot for him as he's too much of a project and our developmental spots are only for first or second year players, but he's a guy I can keep my eye on for future deals.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nick Collison really started to impress late last season.

You know that I loathe Phil, but I think Lamar Odom will really flourish under Jax.

I love Igoudala...what about Dalembert?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dalembert is nice. I doubt I could acquire him at a reasonable price though.

Collison though, I could get him. I just pulled in his stats - he was top 100 in our league over the last month. That's very very nice for a 24 year old who's basicically a rookie. Nice call Josh.

Odom has a HUGE salary in our league.