Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Confusing AKo hand, flopped trips

Villian was 31/15/4. He seemed to bet a lot when checked to and was pretty agressive. I think that calling the turn would be best, or is raising good?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Button ($985)
Hero ($1013.75)
BB ($909.79)
UTG ($1837.5)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $30</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) calls $25, BB calls $20.

Flop: ($90) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks.

Turn: ($90) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $200</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $500</font>, BB calls $300.

River: ($1090) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $475</font>, BB calls $379.79 (All-In).

Final Pot: $1944.79

I should have probably led the flop. Eh, this one is horrid on every street. What is the best way to play this from the flop on? I was going to check/call flop and then lead turn, but the flush card came.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Confusing AKo hand, flopped trips

Yeah, I'm not a fan of how you played it on pretty much any street. I definitely lead that flop. I'm okay with your lead on the turn but I definitely call the aggression the rest of the way. Guys that like to bet too much, I usually just let them bet at me in NL. Why take the lead away from them? If they don't have anything, it would just cause them to fold, plus if you're lucky (though this might not be relevant in 4 handed) you get some image from "looking like a calling station" to the rest of the table.

- C -
Old 06-07-2005, 04:21 PM

I really really dont understand, why people wanna check call twotone flop, with something like trips.
QQ is very possible here, so is a flush, maybe even AQ.
I am gonna say QQ.
Lead flop, if raised push...check call turn, either lead river , if raised muck, or check call.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:28 PM

Yeah slowplaying trips in a 3way pot like this is horrible (unless you have a GOOD reason to, known donk bluffer, etc. Your reason wasn't a REALLY good reason, because people are slightly less prone to bluff 3-way pots with others left to act and suspcious flop check).

A GOOD flop to slowplay like this is if you raise 87s, and flop comes 772r. That flop lends itself better to a slowplay, because it's harder for them to put you on the 7 since you preflop raised (although slowplaying here isn't always great either, it has it's ups).

Turn is PARTICULARLY bad, imo. What are you trying to get to fold, or do you think you have best hand and are trying to get value? I have a sneaking suspcion, if you did NOT hold the K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], you would not be making this reraise here. Since you have little fold equity, I highly suggest calling the turn raise, seeing what you can hit on river and hoping for cheap showdown (without improvement, of course). If a worse ace checks behind on river, so be it, you screwed up flop.

By the time river comes, allin is really only play, because you swelled up pot so much with your turn 3-bet. Any better hands bet (and I'm assuming you are not capable of folding AAAK here), and any worse hands check behind.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:31 PM

I don't think it is that bad. A weak lead on the flop, call a raise, and lead the turn could have worked nice. I think 4-handed you would have a very tough time getting away from this since there are some hands you still beat. Looks like a flopped boat with 88 since as you said he usually bets the flop. I would have expected AQ to go all-in on the turn but I guess that is an option too.