Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 10:36 PM

Default KQs badly played

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Fifth hand at the table, so no reads on Villain.

UTG ($31.73)
Button ($22.82)
SB ($21.65)
Hero ($28.8)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $0.5</font>, Button calls $0.50, SB (poster) calls $0.40, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.75</font>, UTG calls $1.50, Button folds, SB folds.

Flop: ($5) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, UTG calls $4.
<font color="green">Missed flop completely, but I make a standard continuation bet here.</font>

Turn: ($13) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $12, UTG pushes, Hero calls.</font>
<font color="green">I planned to shut down on the turn as he's obviously got something, but the turn card gives me an open ended straight draw. </font>

River: ($13) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $13

Comments on all streets appreciated, especially the turn.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:45 PM

Default Re: KQs badly played

i dislike the pf raise. not really a big deal, though. just don't like raising pf with a drawing hand oop. flop continuation ok. when he flat calls, what do you put him on? definitely, you have to consider flush draw. i hate leading the turn here. i probably check-fold. if the board were much less threatening, and you can put him on a mediocre made hand, then i think you can fire a second time. on this board, with the flush draw hitting, and JT on there, i think firing again is unwise. especially since the bet will make you feel pot-comitted, but are potentially drawing dead. in position, you could take a free card. oop, i think you have a check-fold. if you really want to see the river, bet 4 again, and hope he doesn't raise.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:36 AM

Great advice. Thanks for the post.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:47 AM

i'm trying to think of something to say that's not too insulting, but really i think this is one of the most misplayed hands i've ever seen.

just call the minraise to see the flop. check-fold the flop.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:05 AM

Just call the minraise. Check-fold the flop. In your situation, after raising preflop, the continuation bet seems mandatory if you want to have a shot at winning. I'd never be in this situation, though. On the turn, check-fold time, sweetheart. You having an OE means nothing. Potting it on the turn is horrible. Your OE has 8 outs, but two of them are Diamonds, and he could easily have one, if he doesn't already have the flush. Try not to put money in on crappy draws, OOP, with one card to come.

Also, this makes literally no sense.

[ QUOTE ]
I planned to shut down on the turn as he's obviously got something, but the turn card gives me an open ended straight draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you say he's obviously got something, then why are you betting into him when you obviously have nothing at all. You have a weak draw with one card to come.. so check it. He has a hand, he's not going anywhere, so why pot it when you have so few outs, if any AT ALL. It looks like he already has the flush. Bah.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm trying to think of something to say that's not too insulting, but really i think this is one of the most misplayed hands i've ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I know, this is one hand where I deserved to get stacked. Still, thank you gentlemen for the advice, I won't repeat the mistake.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:13 AM

1. Why are you reraising this preflop? FROM THE BIG BLIND?
2. Ordinarily, you would check/fold, but since you reraised, you are obliged to keep firing.
3. On the turn, you may well be drawing dead, and it is silly to continue here. Check/fold, maybe call a tiny bet and hope to hit a straight that might still lose.