Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-29-2005, 02:48 AM

Default (5$) 7 7 Should I push here?

I ended up coming back and winning this tourney, I really wondered the whole time if I had made the right decsision here. The answer is at the bottom in red ( white is not working for some reason.)

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (7 handed) converter

BB (t1360)
UTG (t1480)
MP1 (t3235)
MP2 (t2368)
Hero (t1132)
Button (t740)
SB (t3185)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t150, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ? <font color="white"> </font>

I pushed all in and won a toss up
Old 12-29-2005, 02:53 AM

Default Re: (5$) 7 7 Should I push here?

Easy push.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:39 AM

Personally I believe that you should call and hope a few others call and you hit your set on flop to extract maximum value. 150 is too little to risk your whole stack for.

Obviously, reads and opponents playing styles should also influence your decision.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally I believe that you should call and hope a few others call and you hit your set on flop to extract maximum value. 150 is too little to risk your whole stack for.

Obviously, reads and opponents playing styles should also influence your decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

whats up, this is bad advice

you have 7xBB, no way you are playing for set value you here. this is an easy push.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:44 AM

hmmm.

your hand doesn't improve at all unless you hit your set or a wacky straight or flush. meanwhile, you are crushed by 8s or better and a slight dog to two overcards, which are the only things calling you. It's pretty early in the tourney to be playing the coinflip game, I think, and there aren't any chips in the pot.

I would have limped and waited until the flop; overcards scare me away, a 7 makes me do the trips dance, and rags make me bet.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

you have 7xBB, no way you are playing for set value you here. this is an easy push.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-29-2005, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's pretty early in the tourney to be playing the coinflip game, I think, and there aren't any chips in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is t325 in the pot, which is about 1/3 of Heros stack. This is a significant amount of chips in the pot.

This is an easy push.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:13 AM

At $5, I would fold. UTG limp is dangerous, I suspect that $5 players with mediocre overcard holdings don't know they should be contributing to your fold equity when you push. Do you really want a coinflip here? Also, there's always that outside chance the fellow is sandbagging the big pair as well.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is t325 in the pot, which is about 1/3 of Heros stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

boy, if only I could read as well as I can talk. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2005, 07:44 AM

I wouldn't for three reasons.
1) I'm not opening the pot
2) There are 4 people still to act on this round. In $5 you can expect a call here more often than not, and you'll be losing more often than not.
3) SB has me covered three times and can call with less than absolutely premium hands.