Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting

Old 12-27-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Anyone here make any significant money betting on sports?

i made quite a bit of money (for me anyways, mid-5 figures) from middle of '02 - early '05 mostly on football (lots on props and when parlaying props was the goodness) and nba basketball (mostly 1st quarter and 1st half lines)

from early '05 til now im only down total a few hundred bucks (a few big ups and downs kept it somewhat level), and for no reason whatsoever have not bet more than 5 props all year but am getting above water on the nba 1st q/h bets

prior to '02 (and since '95) i never kept records of how i did, but i would guess that i was an overall loser during that time frame despite a number of huge scores

i'm not a stat-rat, i dont spend 500 hours a day thinking about betting sports, but i do bet games early and late, on a ton of different books, with varying bet amounts, etc.

it's certainly possible to make money hand over fist betting sports if you have a large bankroll to begin with, but right now i wouldnt want to base my sole income off of it - poker's much better for that i think

the lesson to be learned with sports messageboards is to never be angry when you bet someone else's picks - no one has all the answers, and someone's winning streak may be ending just when you hop on
Old 12-28-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Anyone here make any significant money betting on sports?

Absolutely, and particularly if you know how to bet the Futures books, middles, arbs, line-shopping and bankroll mgmt properly. Futures books in sports are like horse racing -- i.e. parimutuel, betting v the public not the house --, but without the huge 17% vig they takeout at the racetrack, and you can find plenty of pro horseplayers, so it is certainly very possible.

I go to LV for March Madness every year, I spend a whole week there and 2-3 days of that is pure line-shopping, arbing, and checking the futures books.
I cannot tell you how many woulda-been 'flat' days were turned into winning days, and up days turned into huge up days due to having that extra point or half-point on my side.

The easiest sports to win at are the less followed sports/events, like smalltime college hoops and football, boxing, horse racing, etc. PA bettors were big on Smarty Jones and Afleet Alex long before the crowd, for example, SJ was undefeated entering the Derby and you could still get 4-1 or better on him at post time. By the time he was a heavy favorite in the Belmont, it was too late, Birdstone, who you could have got at 37-1 who was the son of a Derby winner, grandson of Derby and BC winner was the right pick. Etc.

A lot of the sharp bettors I know make a lot of money each year on smalltime college hoops. That's a good place to start. Develop your own system for rating teams, borrow someone elses, whatever, and then monitor all results closely, even if you didn't wager on them. Modify as needed, realize that variance is a bitch and you will have losing streaks, weeks, months, doesn't mean your system is broken, but something to be aware of.

Naj