Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 07:52 PM

Default Rules about reading your OWN hand?

My question is what is your policy about people, specifically newbies, and their reading of THEIR OWN HANDS. I ask this question as it comes from a speicific example.

Me and some buddies organized a heads up tournament and on the second round I was playing vs. a fairly TAG player. Starting w. 50 BB. Stacks were going back and forth for a while, at this point I was about 30-35 BB and he covered. I pick up 85 on the button and call the SB. He raises it 2 more BB and I call reluctantly (not my proudest poker moment, but I had position and felt I could outplay him).

Anyways flop comes 8 5 J

He bets out I raise all in he calls and shows JJ.

Great, drawing basically dead. At this point there was a friend of ours who was dealing for the game, although not a real 'paid dealer' he was just doing it to speed up the game. Villian starts getting restless thinking he is going to get outdrawn (as he has sene a lot of that lately).

Turn is blank.

River is 5.

I have 5s full 8s and he has Jacks full 5s.
Clearly he wins.

BUT, he then asks me how many chips I had left, I told him 15 and he throws over 15 chips and nearly vomits. At this point, I was simply going to take it as he is clearly very stupid to do this, however as soon as I was going to turn the community cards over so that he wouldn't have any second thoughts, the "dealer" tells villian that he actually WON with Jacks full. At this point the villian laughs and goes, "oh yeah, haha ok." and the match was over

What I am asking is say the dealer wasn't there. Should I take this as a win if he gives it to me? I mean, I didn't do anything 'wrong' as long as I don't say anything like 'I win' 'you lose'. Even if I did, isn't it HIS fault for doing this?

Just a silly homegame question

Thanks
Old 12-15-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Rules about reading your OWN hand?

A very similar situation is discussed in this thread.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:14 PM

In a friendly home game, I would tell the newbie that he won, even if the dealer hadn't. Particularly if you want the newbie to come back.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:19 PM

a half truth is a whole lie
Old 12-15-2005, 11:31 PM

As a side note, if you are not the dealer you should not be touching the community cards, especially to muck them.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I am asking is say the dealer wasn't there. Should I take this as a win if he gives it to me? I mean, I didn't do anything 'wrong' as long as I don't say anything like 'I win' 'you lose'. Even if I did, isn't it HIS fault for doing this?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are doing something wrong by accepting a pot that you know doesn't belong to you. PERIOD!

Doing anything else makes you a douchebag, plain and simple.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:04 AM

Seems you couldn't outplay your opponent so you decided to take advantage of him. Quit rationalizing. Cards speak even if your opponent is a donkey. And don't touch any cards but your own.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:13 AM

You tried to shoot an angle and it didn't work. The cards spoke. Now you're posting on 2+2 about whether or not your angle should have worked.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In a friendly home game definitely don't do this.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:34 PM

Thank goodness the dealer was there to notice something that you should have been ethically bound to point out.