Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 12:00 AM

Default As you move up limits are you forced to gamble more?

I am a small stake NL Hold Em player that recently moved back up to the .25/.50 cent game on Stars and this session I made it a point to be less passive and call down more. What I found was that I ended up in so many gambles that I was suprised players would willingly play. This was the best session I have had but I had to take many 50/50 gambles that mostly fell in my favor.

This leads me to my question as to whether you must be more willing to gamble as you move up in limits. It seems logical that you would because of the skill level becoming more uniform than at the low stakes.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:49 AM

Default Re: As you move up limits are you forced to gamble more?

Playing poker IS gambling. You put your chips in when you think you have the best of it. That's it.

[ QUOTE ]
This leads me to my question as to whether you must be more willing to gamble as you move up in limits. It seems logical that you would because of the skill level becoming more uniform than at the low stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like what you're saying here is that since you no longer have an edge, you might as well start flipping coins.

This depends. Are you there to have fun or make money? Most people on the forum are there to make money, and if they don't have an edge, they're not going to start looking for ways to increase their variance, they're just going to leave.

[ QUOTE ]
I made it a point to be less passive and call down more

[/ QUOTE ]

You're treading the fine lines of contradiction here.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing poker IS gambling. You put your chips in when you think you have the best of it. That's it.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like what you're saying here is that since you no longer have an edge, you might as well start flipping coins.

This depends. Are you there to have fun or make money? Most people on the forum are there to make money, and if they don't have an edge, they're not going to start looking for ways to increase their variance, they're just going to leave.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I meant that I wouldn't fold so easily to bets that seemed like steals.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:54 AM

I'd say you're forced to think more and play smarter rather than gamble more.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:29 PM

If I'm not wrong, I believe Sam Farha said that in high stakes there is alot of 'literal' gambling... I think he meant many 50/50 and all in on draws. I believe this is true because since you are playing against good players, you will put your chips in with AK vs Ax when an ace flops even less than you do in lower stakes. To make up for this, people usually check-raise all in with draws on the flop and either hope the player folds or they improve if they get called. This constantly happens so whoever gets lucky is the big winner for the night. Of course, its still possible to outplay other players because not every player has the same skill. So the best players will still make money over the good players.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This was the best session I have had but I had to take many 50/50 gambles that mostly fell in my favor.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a ring game you HAVE to push whenever you have even the slightest advantage- even .02%. This will put money in your pocket, over time of course. That is why the first question to ask is if you have the roll to move up limits- will you be able to withstand a session or 2 where every time you have a slight advantage you lose? That is more important than anything.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Yeah I meant that I wouldn't fold so easily to bets that seemed like steals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling rather than reraising against a steal is a passive action.

Good luck,
Matt