Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Luck, folding equity and more luck and I win (long)

[ QUOTE ]
Button opens to 200K, SB call, its 140K for me to call into 565K pot in the BB, I have J5o and call.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, that call stunk like old cheese, horrid really.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-08-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i tried this when i won the same tournament and they did not give me the hh.

[/ QUOTE ]

No tourney report??

C'mon schwza quit holding out. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-08-2005, 05:51 PM

This was a great read, congrats and thanks for posting it. I have one question for you, on this hand:

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 21 same level

UTG (570K) opens for 150K, I (480K) find AJo in the SB and push, he folds, up to 693K

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't necessarily disagree, but it seems like you generally had been giving credit to players opening under the gun. Of course AJ is a solid hand, but against a solid UTG opener, it's a big dog. What was your thinking with this push, if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks again.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So how does that tourney compare to Party and Stars in terms of structure, quality of players, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very similar. The blinds go up quick and some jumps near the end are huge 8K B to 12K BB etc. 940ish players with an hour rebuy and it was done in 6 hours.

Lots of fish for what is essentially a minimum $90 tourney, but the play is not like the Stars 11R when insanity rules the rebuy period.

Lots of good players too, lots of Pocket 5's guys like legggggy, scgolfer etc.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-08-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not trying to rain on your parade or anything, but i don't like this:

Button opens to 200K, SB call, its 140K for me to call into 565K pot in the BB, I have J5o and call.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think any of us are a big fan of this hand... otherwise, this write-up is a great example of the importance of pre-flop aggression in late-stage shallow tourneys...
Old 11-08-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I definitely would have raised with the 24 in the bb middle pair, and I don't know why you bet on the river in the 2nd to last hand headsup with bottom pair. Nothing else stood out to me (that you didn't mention). Oh, the AJ push seems scary... not sure if it's right or not.
But nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I think I folded best hand w/ the 24, but if he's calling my raise I have to go to felt and I have basically no redraws, but you are right, was weak.

I bet the river because it was out of character for the oppoenent to not bet when he had something, so I bet the river to take it down and did, at that point I was trying to grind his stack.

The AJ out of the SB was close, but I think it was 4 handed (edit: it was 6 handed) so a UTG open raise wasn't too scary and we were all stealing off each other, so I felt good there.

edit: That was probably closer than I thought at the time, no one was calling my re-raises, and I think he was a little too active to always have a good hand. Part of my folding equity was not messing around with garbage too much so I had good credit when raising.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-08-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i tried this when i won the same tournament and they did not give me the hh.

[/ QUOTE ]

No tourney report??

C'mon schwza quit holding out. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Regards,
Woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

oof, it was almost a year ago. here's what i remember:

i get a bunch of chips somehow. i open a zillion pots/orbit. my 63s is unstoppable against AQ, AK, etc.

i enter the final table with 70% of the chips and don't blow it.

my first tourney win. sniff, sniff, memories...
Old 11-08-2005, 05:59 PM

Way to go Woodguy! The only hands that looked bad were the J5o and the A6o because the button was committed. The J5o one, man, put down HOH2. Well done.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't necessarily disagree, but it seems like you generally had been giving credit to players opening under the gun. Of course AJ is a solid hand, but against a solid UTG opener, it's a big dog. What was your thinking with this push, if you don't mind sharing?

[/ QUOTE ]

From another response I wrote:

[ QUOTE ]

The AJ out of the SB was close, but I think it was 4 handed (edit: it was 6 handed) so a UTG open raise wasn't too scary and we were all stealing off each other, so I felt good there.

edit: That was probably closer than I thought at the time, no one was calling my re-raises, and I think he was a little too active to always have a good hand. Part of my folding equity was not messing around with garbage too much so I had good credit when raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-08-2005, 06:12 PM

Great read. Well played. Congrats...........

Hand 17; IMO (you asked) - insta fold. It does not seem that you have anything to gain by a flop call (or raise). I dont have as much experience as others, but dont most good players only bet great hands when someone is all in (and check down others).

Again, congratulations.

tim