Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 05:18 PM

Default stigma of being first (or close to it) out???

probably been discussed innumerable times before here.

but does anyone have the same problem i do?? namely that you really don't want to put your life on the line really early on 60/40 odds. not really the math of it which is somehwat debatable (people say early chips aren't worth that much), but just the human side.

went with 4 people to a no-limit tournament recently. the other players thought i was really good and i didn't want to let them down...

but really, does being the first person out really make you a bad player??? obvious answer is no, but it's hard to get away from in your mind.

and another thing i thought of, does anyone look at time being worth something?? i.e. take a decent chance (60%/40%) at doubling or quadrupling fairly early. because i've found it fairly difficult to comeback once other people have alot of chips. i think people are much more aggressive these days, and even bad aggressive players are somewhat dangerous in no-limit.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: stigma of being first (or close to it) out???

"but does anyone have the same problem i do?? namely that you really don't want to put your life on the line really early on 60/40 odds. not really the math of it which is somehwat debatable"

No and no.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:40 PM

Nope. First out or bubbled out are exactly the same payout.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:40 PM

I would rather be first out than bubble...
Old 10-17-2005, 05:51 PM

I will take a 60/40 edge at any stage of the tournament, and I think most players a lot better than me would. I don't think there is any stigma to getting busted early...you will last a few hrs by not playing a hand, it doesn't mean anything. I would prefer to go out early losing a hand where I made the right decision and got outdrawn, then be inactive get blinded down to a short-stack and forced to make a move when I may well have the worse of it.

In fact I would rather finish last than just out of the money if there is some side game action I can get involved in.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:56 PM

Agreed except in the case where there is 6 or so people left, the delta between 6 and 3 is real, and if there is someone else at the table on life support I'll pass on a 60/40.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:08 PM

If you play enough tournies, it will happen at least once.

Last spring I was in a WSOP satellite at Treasure Island in Red Wing Minnesota.

Last hand in blind level one. I get pocket 8's. Flop is 8 5 3. There's a raise and two calls. I go all in. UTG (who had called the BB) calls, everyone else folds.

He's got AA.

Turn 2

River 4

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

The TD was from the RIO in Vegas. This hand was the first all in of the night, so he was announcing it as it played out. I got a round of applause and a goody bag full of crap.

My table was against the back wall, so I had a long walk.

I'd make that play again. I had a chance to more than double up early on top set.

If you have a +EP play early or middle or late, you take it.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:08 AM

As long as you value the opinion others have of you more than you value your opinion of yourself, you'll have these dillemas. If you pass a 60/40 hand to achieve 100% approval, you're losing both.

If they're calling me an idiot because I took their money, call me an idiot and my dog ugly.

CJ
Old 10-18-2005, 10:46 AM

cactus. i don't think people call you an idiot because you take their money. just a thought!!
Old 10-18-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cactus. i don't think people call you an idiot because you take their money. just a thought!!

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm, that's a shot, isn't it?

You're doing great here. I expect you to be enjoying yourself real soon. Nobody else will be enjoying you, however. When are you going to be referring to yourself in the third person?