Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Newbie question about blocking bets

If your hand is good you win the contents of the pot regardless of your river action. Getting called for $8 wins you an additional $8, not $24. Although this assumes your opponent will never steal the pot from you when you check.

But I have a very hard time believing that you lose 75% of the time. The guys that call full pot on the turn on a draw are the same ones that call down with just a pair. If five people saw the flop it would be different, but against a single opponent you run into a pair far more often than you run into a monster.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Newbie question about blocking bets

[ QUOTE ]
I may be way off but I think the way you play the river does not detract from the fact that he played incorrectly on both the flop and turn. 'When' he called your flop bet he was making an error because he was not getting pot odds to draw, he compounded this error on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite, he would be correct to make the 2 calls if he is getting the correct implied odds. For that to be the case he would have to be confident (and correct) to believe that you will pay off a large bet on the river if the flush hits. In the example given this is extremely unlikely given that his odds of making the flush are actually 5/1 not 4/1 on the river (there are already four clubs out). He would need you to put $9 into the pot on the river if his flush hits (before discounting for the fact that his flush may not be good, if you held a higher flush or hit a boat)

The difficulty is that as someone else said the player who calls your turn bet with a flush draw is also the player who calls down with one pair. So you have a tricky decision on the river, I would put in a standard bet (but fold to a re-raise).