Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Any lessons to share at 2/4?

[ QUOTE ]
Also, do you guys find in +EV to play the BBJ tables which presumably should be looser?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is slightly looser but I don't know if the difference is large enough (I've heard that when the jackpot gets high enough that it is worth playing there). Sometimes there are terrible players there, but then again there are often terrible players at regular tables so if you are paying a higher rake you should be getting something back for it.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hyper-aggressive play won money at .5/1, 1/2, and 1/2 short.

Hyper-aggressive play does not win money at 2/4.

Be careful with trying to explode all over the loose passives there. Sometimes more passive lines win more money.

I don't know if you play hyper-aggressively. I did and it took me 5k hands to figure out that that isn't the way to beat 2/4.

At 3/6 short, however, I think that hyper-aggressive play is best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very interesting, I think my 1/2 6 max win rate is (unsustainably) high right now because I learned to play hyperaggressive (while still considering opponents and board texture of course).

So for 2/4 full - do you start inducing bluffs with check/call lines (OOP presumably)?

As an aside - did you jump from 1/2 6 max to 3/6 6 max or did you go to 2/4 6 max at pokerstars or something? I find I do pretty well in 6 max because I can and enjoy reading my opponents better (I 2 table at most when playing 6 max)... or it could be near-term luck..

Does the same winning style at 1/2 6 max work at 3/6 6 max?

Again thank you for everyones responses (Wook your link is great)
Old 09-30-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So for 2/4 full - do you start inducing bluffs with check/call lines (OOP presumably)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this line is part of an overall more passive strategy. More calling down on the flop and turn when you have a strong hand against some players. Other WA/WB lines. Think more about draws and how everyone else in the pot affects your action, etc. Note that there are still players against whom you should play aggressively. But not against standard 40/0/0 2/4 dude.

[ QUOTE ]
As an aside - did you jump from 1/2 6 max to 3/6 6 max or did you go to 2/4 6 max at pokerstars or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

.5/1 --> 1/2 --> 1/2 short --> 2/4 --> 3/6 short.

I played the 2/4 tables short-handed. The tables are tons better that way. More laggish players, more terrible players, and less 2+2 players. I would wager that >75% of my hands at 2/4 were <6 handed.

[ QUOTE ]
I find I do pretty well in 6 max because I can and enjoy reading my opponents better (I 2 table at most when playing 6 max)... or it could be near-term luck..

[/ QUOTE ]

Play the short handed 2/4 tables.

[ QUOTE ]
Does the same winning style at 1/2 6 max work at 3/6 6 max?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um yes and no. The players at 3/6 short are better than 1/2 short opponents, but also a lot worse in some respects. I dunno how to explain it. But for the most part, your overall strategy isn't affected too much.

John
Old 09-30-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hyper-aggressive play won money at .5/1, 1/2, and 1/2 short.

Hyper-aggressive play does not win money at 2/4.

Be careful with trying to explode all over the loose passives there. Sometimes more passive lines win more money.

I don't know if you play hyper-aggressively. I did and it took me 5k hands to figure out that that isn't the way to beat 2/4.

At 3/6 short, however, I think that hyper-aggressive play is best.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm also going to second this (of course, i shouldn't need to since we all know shadow is god's gift to poker).

i didn't change my play much from 1/2 to 2/4 to 3/6 (all full) and anecdotally based on only 30k of 1/2, 30k of 2/4, and 12k of 3/6 an aggressive style of play has worked very well for me at 1/2 and 3/6 but not at 2/4.

i should say that i probably tilted off at least 250 bb at 2/4 in frustration so who knows...

i think it does boil down to me not taking more passive lines against the very passive players (ie, i wasn't paying enough attention to them)

of course, this is all a small sample so ymmv.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:27 PM

i haven't read all the responses, but over my first 27k hands, i've found the play to overall be about the same, but where the 1/2 games were really weak tight, the 2/4 tends to be a bit more manic in that they don't like aggression very much and are more willing to fight back. this is great when you have the nuts, but not so good other times (AK UI, for example)

i see a lot more people slowplaying AA & KK, but that could be a sample size thing.

i think the preflop play is worse, but post flop they're better at making you pay when they hit the miracle flop

either that, or i've just been running bad.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:35 PM

You adapt the same way you adapt every time you open a table: assess the players, be aware of the overall table texture, adopt a suitable strategy. Stay at a table if you think it's profitable (sufficiently soft opposition, good relative position), leave otherwise. Everything else is down to chip colour.

I'd pay extra attention to table and seat selection for a while, and would suggest some datamining to help you identify people want/don't want on your immediate left and right. Table selection probably isn't critically important at 2/4 most of the time, but there's no sense making things any harder than they have to be while you're transitioning. I'd also suggest sticking to 1 or 2 tables your first few sessions to give yourself plenty of time to think about things. You might also want to look for tables that approximate the texture you're most familiar with.

It's probably not that big a jump if you're prepared to step outside your comfort zone, though don't worry too much if it takes a while to establish yourself -- I started off with a slide and it took ~9000 hands to pop above 1 BB/100 for the first time, others start off hot and never look back.

Best of luck and happy pokering.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:47 PM

well we all know the different aggro lagro tagro playing styles. hyperaggro, superaggro, bossaggro, melloaggro, loosaggro, tightaggro, etc. then there are the lappy tappy sappy styles. well, i have found the key to 2/4 is a mix. here's the recipe:

20% bossaggro
20% melloaggro
40% tightaggro
15% lappy
15% sappy

hope it works as well for you as it does for me
Old 09-30-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well we all know the different aggro lagro tagro playing styles. hyperaggro, superaggro, bossaggro, melloaggro, loosaggro, tightaggro, etc. then there are the lappy tappy sappy styles. well, i have found the key to 2/4 is a mix. here's the recipe:

20% bossaggro
20% melloaggro
40% tightaggro
15% lappy
15% sappy

[/ QUOTE ]

Way to give a 110% effort
Old 10-01-2005, 04:06 AM

Hey Wook I have one more 6max question. Can you 4 table 1/2 6max effectively. I jumped on Empire tonight and tried it, 6 max is obviously where all the donks are going, but I dropped like 25BB. I'm going to move down to 2 tables until I know that I'm beating the game, but I was just wondering if you are able to get to a point where you can 4 table effectively.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

20% bossaggro
20% melloaggro
40% tightaggro
15% lappy
15% sappy

[/ QUOTE ]

Way to give a 110% effort

[/ QUOTE ]

hilarious