Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 06:12 AM

Default Re: Too Passive with KK?

Upon reflection, I think BB would have gone for a checkraise with Aces over or a set, so I think he has two pair that doesn't include Aces. Therefore, you could call him getting almost 6:1 because you would have 8 outs to beat him. 2Ks, 3As, and 3 of whichever card he hasn't paired.

There's also the chance that you are already ahead anyway. If he has Top Pair Aces or better, he's not playing it very strongly.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:40 AM

to be honest: i don't hate the fold. people do this when they have the Ace fearing that it will get checked through, but with a straight and flush draw on the table, i just can't give immediate credit for the lone face card on the board.

i don't think either decision (calling down/folding) is bad.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:59 AM

That's a standard micro-donk play: check-call with weak Ace and betting the turn. I call down with KK most of the time for a few reasons:
- small chance of spiking a king
- somewhat small chance you have the best hand
- so opponents don't try this bluff every time an Ace shows up.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My thinking behind raising the turn:

a) Fold a 5 outer, probably not worth it since as you said the pot is small and he's probably putting 1BB in on the river. Do you find a river value bet if he checks?

b) Maybe get an ace to fold. When this happens it's huge, but I'm thinking it doesn't happen often at 2/4.

c) Charge a semibluff. Does a semi bluff usually fire another barrel on the river when they miss here?

As far as just folding out a bluff, I think if we're ahead villain is more likely to have a piece than be flat out bluffing, still a factor though.

To sum it up, if he'll bet the busted draws on the river, and he's paying off 1BB on the river with a 5 outer, then it makes no sense to raise if he's not folding an ace, since we just give up the chance to spike a king when 3 bet, or even make an incorrect fold if he has something like 34.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not think this is a good situation for the turn-raise play against an unknown.
If he has a strong hand or is aggressive he may 3-bet so we won`t be able to see if we hit our 2-outer on the river although we invest 2BB.
If he has a weak ace - assuming he doesn`t fold - we invest the same amount as if we just call down.
If he is bluffing we want him to do so on the river as well.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:33 PM

Thanks for all the input. I figured the guy had a weak ace and/or 2 paired on the turn or put out the weak ace donk bet as many have said they have seen.

After I folded he showed JJ. I wasn't too upset because it wasn't a huge pot, but I made a note on the guy and went on with my business.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:03 PM

you folded? At least call, he didn't seem too enthused about the A on the flop, so why would he like it better now?
Old 09-29-2005, 06:16 PM

a fold like that is pretty weak-tight and a good way to get added to a buddy list.

donking JJ? i'm not sure what to make of that
Old 09-29-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a fold like that is pretty weak-tight and a good way to get added to a buddy list.

donking JJ? i'm not sure what to make of that

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it was very weak-tight. I didn't show the KK so for all he knows I had KQ or something.

I'll play this situation different in the future. Just wasn't sure what to make of the donk bet on the turn.