Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 09:45 AM

Default Re: JJ hand that got ugly

[ QUOTE ]
You're right. I really thought I was beat. But would it have been so bad to call? Do I win enough there to make it +EV? Probably not, but hard to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an often debated topic. The problem is defined in "Weighing the Odds" as "The River Paradox". Calling too much when you know you are beaten is a long term leak. Folding when you might have the best hand can also be a leak if you do it too much. In general, especially when first starting out, it makes sense to call too much, especially in large pots, folding the best hand can cost you a significant number of bets. However, as you move up, you will find that this can become a leak if you start calling down every time you aren't sure - especially when the pots are smaller (in terms of big bets). Just like any other leak where you have a lot of opportunities to make the same mistake.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This is an often debated topic. The problem is defined in "Weighing the Odds" as "The River Paradox". Calling too much when you know you are beaten is a long term leak. Folding when you might have the best hand can also be a leak if you do it too much. In general, especially when first starting out, it makes sense to call too much, especially in large pots, folding the best hand can cost you a significant number of bets. However, as you move up, you will find that this can become a leak if you start calling down every time you aren't sure - especially when the pots are smaller (in terms of big bets). Just like any other leak where you have a lot of opportunities to make the same mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Great answer! You guys rock.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:56 PM

There's not much worse that folding in a big pot and finding out you would have won. Really sickening. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2005, 02:07 PM

Reads would determine whether I call this river or not. If the players involved are LAGGY or unknown I call, and I think a fold is actually a decent sized mistake. If I they are semi-reasonable, it is a safe fold.