Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Suggestions for becoming a better player

I play 3/6 as my game. I have only read the Super System 1 and 2 sections on limit poker. I have adjusted these and now play a very tight style of poker. I am just interested in becoming a better player. I do not know the math of poker very well or really understand how one figures EV. I know that Theory of Poker is good for these but what I was wondering is if anyone could provide other sources for Limit Poker. If you are going to be a jackass and respond with google it please dont respond. I have already googled it and I'm sure of the 100,000 poker books out there these days there are some that poeple with recommened. I am looking for books that you feel have made your game better.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Suggestions for becoming a better player

First read Winning Low Limit Hold Em by Jones. Once you grasp that read Small Stakes Hold Em by Ed Miller. Read, read, read. Play lots of low limit poker. Think about hands you've played, post ones that give you trouble. Always pay attention at the table...play tight, but be aggressive also. Push good hands hard. Keep your cool and don't play scared money. Good luck.

Jeff
Old 05-10-2005, 09:56 PM

Add Lou Krieger's two books on Hold 'Em, Hold 'Em Excellence and More Hold 'Em Excellence. When you finish those, there are many other good books to read: Hellmuth's Play Poker Like the Pro's, Dan Harrington's new book. Buy Mike Caro's Book of Tells. When you get more advanced, Sklansy's Hold 'Em Poker for Advanced Players, and on and on and on... The least useful books you have for low limit games are the Super System books, which are aimed at big games.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:15 PM

I like Small Stakes Hold Em by Ed Miller before and/or instead of Winning Low Limit Hold Em by Jones. One of the best books I ever read. Read it. Re-read it. Understand it fully. Reading 10 more books will not hold a candle to reading and fully understanding the concepts presented in this book.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like Small Stakes Hold Em by Ed Miller before and/or instead of Winning Low Limit Hold Em by Jones. One of the best books I ever read. Read it. Re-read it. Understand it fully. Reading 10 more books will not hold a candle to reading and fully understanding the concepts presented in this book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ed's book is easily the best book on SS poker ever written, but it is a college/grad level text. Start with Jones, the best primer on SS poker.

Note: I will likely have to revise the above comment when Ed's new book comes out. I anticipate a book that will easily supplant Jones, assuming Ed can dumb it down enough.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Note: I will likely have to revise the above comment when Ed's new book comes out. I anticipate a book that will easily supplant Jones, assuming Ed can dumb it down enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Time to revise our statement, its already out.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 05-10-2005, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you finish those, there are many other good books to read: Hellmuth's Play Poker Like the Pro's

[/ QUOTE ]

You are kidding. You've got to be.

I own PPLTP and it is total trash, I bought it because I had just started playing and I saw it on TV.

I can't believe anyone on 2+2 would suggest that.

Anyway, my suggestions are SSHE and Hold 'em for advanced players. Reading both of these a few times should significantly improve your game. Post your questionable hands, and post responses to other people's posts.

Then, read Theory of poker. This is the book you need to go from being a good player to a great player.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:46 PM

Add Lou Krieger's two books on Hold 'Em, Hold 'Em Excellence and More Hold 'Em Excellence.

Very rudimentary and a contains weak tight advice.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:10 PM

I have re-read the original post and I think he is asking for some rudimentary advice. He doesn't understand the math of pot odds. I think he needs to start at the beginning and not at the masters level. The beauty of Jones and Krieger is that they are well written and easy to understand. They are aimed at inexperienced poker players, and I think they serve that purpose well. I find Jones to be pretty rudimentary, too. But I still recommend it. You are free to recommend only the advanced books, and you may be right, but I think some books are better suited for those who haven't read much, and some are much more appropriate when someone has mastered the basics contained in the simpler books. JMHO.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:16 PM

Read Lee Jones and learn how to fold. Then read Ed Miller and learn how to raise. Read nothing else until you log many many hours, because there is a limit to the benefit of reading if you are not playing. Once you've logged a few hundred hours, check out HEPFAP and TOP and other more advanced books available for sale here.