Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2005, 02:48 AM

Default the wrong time for pot control?

party NL 1000NL 6 handed

1 fold, i ($2.7k) raise A10o with two tighties on my left.

they fold and i almost succeed in isolating my man, the huge lagish SB with $2k in front. the BB puts a snag in my plan and we're off to the flop of...

10c10s8c

SB leads out for $100, which is weird, havent seen him do that yet, maybe/hopefully he has a 10.

but once again, BB gets in the way and calls pretty quick.

i raise to $450, SB had the auto call button on i think, and BB calls almost as quick.

turn: 7x, they chk, i decide to check behind, thinking that while i dont like a free card, i think that 88 and 97s are good enough possibilities, and I would just about throw up if i bet and was raised, esp. by the sane BB.

is my thinking off here?

if you like a bet, how much, and what do you do if i am raised by one of the villians?

thanks,

fsuplayer
Old 05-15-2005, 04:03 AM

Default Re: the wrong time for pot control?

well after the SB bets right out and the BB calls and you raise and they both call, you are letting them know you at least have something, and neither seemed to mind very much.

after both callers, and the turn completing the J9 oesd, you are in a somewhat difficult spot.

that would pretty bad for one of them to catch a free river club to the nut flush, as i assume you weren't holding the Ac?

BB could easily be holding 88 here and be loving his relative position if in fact you hold an overpair/10 and the ultra-lag SB is holding a 10 or a big draw that is drawing dead.

that possibility alone makes checking here a decent idea, and i look to see how the river action plays out.

there is another good reason for the river check in this spot: assuming a brick falls, neither of them are going to risk it getting checked through again, and wont attempt a check raise. this will allow you to make a value bet on the river if checked to as there won't be that fear.

i look forward to the river and subsequent action.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:49 AM

sorry, it was late last night, the turn was a 6, which is why i said i feared 79s.

and I didnt have the Ac.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:41 PM

I like a check behind on the turn since the blinds both represented a lack of fear. The river play will be indicative of what you're facing, and i like chuddo's lines. At least you wont fear the CR. (wrong time for pot control)
Old 05-16-2005, 03:49 PM

Bet this turn. 79 and 88 are monsters under the bed. any ten will give you mondo dominated action.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:59 PM

Hum...

This is tough. BTW, what was the BBs stack? Is he semi-thinking? Will he attempt a nice tidy value bet on the river to try to get both you and the SB to come along? If so I like this line more than your other options (which are basically nill... the more I think about it, it seems like you're stuck checking here).
Old 05-16-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

there is another good reason for the river check in this spot:

[/ QUOTE ]

i meant turn check.

anyway, whaaaa happened?
Old 05-16-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
79 and 88 are monsters under the bed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that what you are supposed to see when it has been bet into PF raiser, cold called, Hero raises ~pot, cold-call, cold-call? He didn't say BB was donk-tastic...

I'm curious what some posters think the best case scenario is here.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:56 PM

By betting your going to find out where you are if one of them makes a large check raise on the turn, and if either or both are on a draw your making them pay to see the next card. BB Could have J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or slowing playing a floped full house with 88. Depending on how much u raised pre flop and how much each of u had in ur stack would determine if he hand could be as weak as J9s. If SB if the sucker at the table he might be calling with any thing. The big problem with betting is with something like 1500 in the pot you have to risk too much to make a decent sized wager. If you bet 750 and either player moved all in you would, as you so elequiently put it throw up. If either called then check to you with the best hand you got to see it for cheap and if they had a worse hand you got more value with the best hand. If a scare card hits the river and they bet you have an easy lay down. Betting the right amount would be key 750 is investing alot into a hand that you might have to lay down maybe 550, 600, or 650. Just my thoughts what do u sharks think?[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just my thoughts what do u sharks think?

[/ QUOTE ]

get me something to eat