Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 05:45 AM

Default Ring game player who wants to play WSOP events: how to prepare?

I'm interested in playing in some of the WSOP NL hold'em events. I have limited tourney experience; I've played 3 $500 buyins, two at Bellagio and one online, and five other $100+ entry live tournies.

I have little live experience, I think between 100 and 150 hours, some of it while learning the game.

I have logged ~300,000 hands online where I am a regular $2/$5 NL player. While I mostly play full ring games, I have a fair bit of shorthanded experience as well.

I also own several books on tourneys, including the 2+2 library.

So. I want to sharpen my tourney skills somewhat before WSOP. I have a fair amount of free time and an adequate bankroll. Some questions:

1) Would my tournament practice be better spent online (many, many tournaments available, multitabling possible) or live?

2) Are the lessons you learn in smaller buy-in multis applicable to the big ones, or would I be better off restricting myself to $100+ buyin tourneys?

3) What is a useful number of tourneys to enter while still being able to reflect on individual results/what I did wrong?

4) I haven't yet crawled through the tourneys fora. Is there a "best of" that I should know about? How much playing time vs. forum-reading time would be optimal?

Any other suggestions and comments would be welcome. Or just tell me "this has been discussed to death before" and I'll spend more time trawling.