Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Playing a mix of games--does it help your overall game?

I have a regular hold-em, NL, tournament that I play in weekly. I'm considering hosting a regular game where we play other poker--stud, omaha and maybe limit or pot-limit hold'em. I think if anyone's interested, it will be a smallish group of 8 or so.

Do you think playing other pokers will help us improve our overall game? Just out of curiousity, if you play a variety of pokers, which game do you find most challenging? Which game favors being skillful?

THanks, H
Old 08-24-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Playing a mix of games--does it help your overall game?

Playing a variety of games is certainly helpful to your overall poker game. While you'll be using the same underlaying concepts for each of them, you'll have to learn how to handle situations that won't appear in other games such as NL hold'em. I've heard pot-limit Omaha hi-lo favors the most skillful players but I could be wrong. Personally, I find just that game (Omaha hi-lo)the most challenging, maybe because I have only played it a handful of times and don't really understand it that quite well yet (but i'm working on it).
Old 08-24-2005, 03:47 PM

i move around different games all the time. It has improved my game for sure. The more you differ situations and learn how to compensate for that makes you a much beter player. The difference between a good and a great player is the abbility to adapt your stratagy based on many factors at any given time.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:55 PM

You know when a company makes one of those MP3 players that's also a camera that's also a PDA that's also a movie camera that's also a video game machine that's also a thermometer. Most of the time they suck at the specific tasks and are OK all around. Then you got the iPod of players who sticks to playing MP3s and wins everyone's money.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You know when a company makes one of those MP3 players that's also a camera that's also a PDA that's also a movie camera that's also a video game machine that's also a thermometer. Most of the time they suck at the specific tasks and are OK all around. Then you got the iPod of players who sticks to playing MP3s and wins everyone's money.

[/ QUOTE ]

no one is saying you should jump around like crabs on a nut sack. But you cannot get as much experience playing the exact same game over and over than occasionally trying out different games (IE NL vs limit, stud, omaha, monopoly, etc)