Two Plus Two Older Archives

Old 11-02-2003, 06:35 AM
Gammonster Gammonster is offline
Junior Member

Default Mike Caro\'s Book of Poker Tells

I am considering buying Mike Caro's book of poker tells, but I once heard that the 'latest edition' wasn't as good as the first. A) Can anyone verify this? and B) What is the ISBN# of the older version? I know of 2003, 2000, and 1994.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:16 AM
Warren Whitmore Warren Whitmore is offline
Senior Member

Location: New Hampshire
Default Re: Mike Caro\'s Book of Poker Tells

I have the book and the vidio. I prefer the vidio.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:27 AM
npc npc is offline
Junior Member

Location: Las Vegas, NV

I have two versions in my possession:
2003, Cardoza Publishing, ISBN 1-58042-082-6
1994, Carol Publishing Group, ISBN 0-89746-100-2
The 1994 edition also contains a copyright note, 1983, Gambling Times.
Perhaps Strangely, there is no mention in the 2003 edition of any prior editions.

I haven't done a page-by-page comparison of the two volumes.
There are some differences, but the 2003 edition seems to be
mostly a superset of the 1994 edition.

Again, I haven't done a careful analysis, but upon brief inspection, I don't see any reason to think that the 2003 edition is clearly inferior to the 1994 edition. It's conceivable, I suppose, that the new material in the 2003 edition is bad, but that would surprise me. Based on the information I have, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the new edition, but perhaps I'd feel differently after a careful reading of the new edition and comparison against the first edition.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:05 PM
jasonHoldEm jasonHoldEm is offline
Senior Member

Location: Easton, MD

According to Mike Caro they are basically the same...I copied this (had the same question as you) from united poker forum...sorry no direct links there.

on 7. Mar 2003 08:33 JasonHoldEm wrote:
> Mr. Caro,
>
> I just noticed that there's a new book of tells coming out (March 2003,
> according to amazon). Just wondering if this is a new edition of the classic or
> a reprinting.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

Hi, Jason --

It's really just a reprint with a few changes in formatting to fit the style of the publisher, Cardoza. It will be distributed by Simon and Shuster.

Cardoza reverted to the actual 1984 photos used in earlier editions, rather than what I included in the latest MCU version. I didn't like the photos, because the original plates made them look muddy and the negatives were lost in a photo studio fire.

So, in the MCU-only version of the book (this new one still carries the MCU logo along with Cardoza's), we used Photo retouching techniques to reduce unnecessary detail and make the the photos more like line-art drawings. We called them "photo illustrations."

I liked the effect very much, but many others didn't.

Straight Flushes,
Mike Caro