Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-21-2005, 05:56 AM

Default Stars 2-table SNGs

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I've been having a debate about the Stars 2-table (18 man) SNGs.

The prize break down for these are:
1st: 40%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 20%
4th: 10%

so rather than the top-heavy prize pool of most tournaments, every spot you move up in the money is worth exactly the same amount more money as any other spot.

Now, I'm not saying that this means you should try fold your way into the money on the bubble or fold your way up in spots. But shouldn't you play much, much tighter? Basically avoiding coin flips as much as possible even if you are getting some excess money (from limpers/blinds)

The way I've been playing these things, once in the money/bubble I target the lowest stacked guy and go after his BB more than anyone elses (even if position makes this difficult) and totally avoid the stacks bigger than me, unless my cards demand it. When I'm the lowest stacked guy, I target the next lowest, but actually tighten up (and risk being blinded out) rather than loosen up.

(by tighen up, assuming I'm working with a shove or fold amount of chips, I don't shove hands that I know are behind if called but have decent outflopping vaule+folding equity, like JTs, etc)

So, pretty much I take it one elimination at a time, rather than straight-up "playing for first"

Based on this prize structure does this seem like a sound (insert overused +EV phrase here) plan? Or am I spacing on something obvious?