Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 08:47 AM

Default tourney or cash game?

Tourneys are exciting, but is it more profitable to play ring games (on line)? Should i be looking to play limit, NL or touneys only, or a mixture?
Old 11-27-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: tourney or cash game?

[ QUOTE ]
Tourneys are exciting, but is it more profitable to play ring games (on line)? Should i be looking to play limit, NL or touneys only, or a mixture?

[/ QUOTE ]

I enjoy eating pork chops because of their texture but is it more healthy to eat only salads? Or should I only eat fish, chicken and the ocassional choclate sundae?
Old 11-27-2005, 11:59 PM

Play whatever feels natural. You won't be able to understand all the concepts of a particular disipline at once, start out with whatever makes the most sense now, and if you want branch out latter.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Play whatever feels natural. You won't be able to understand all the concepts of a particular disipline at once, start out with whatever makes the most sense now, and if you want branch out latter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advise but my recommendation is limit poker. This gives you the basics for NL. It allows you to cheaply understand how hands work vs other hand, position, opponents, and math. NL is a hard game and you can easily go on tilt, lose your stack and your sanity in 3 hands.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NL is a hard game and you can easily go on tilt, lose your stack and your sanity in 3 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Or stack a few fish on a Friday night and hit the champagne room.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I enjoy eating pork chops because of their texture but is it more healthy to eat only salads? Or should I only eat fish, chicken and the ocassional choclate sundae?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is funny and right
Old 11-28-2005, 02:18 PM

Well, I'm assuming your a low stakes player so here's my advice:
Don't play limit poker at all. From my experience, limit poker is alot more swingy in the short run than NL poker. It might be hard to believe at first, but I'm sure most would agree with me if they have played both. It's also harder to make money and you need a much bigger bankroll when compared to NL.
I would suggest starting to play the $10+$1 SNGs because you only need a minimum bankroll of about $330 ($400-$500 is good, though). They will also teach you alot about how to play in te NL cash games after you play quite a few tournaments.
Just remember that any low stakes game is not gonna bring you a fortune, so don't expect to be making a ton of money at first.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From my experience, limit poker is alot more swingy in the short run than NL poker. It might be hard to believe at first, but I'm sure most would agree with me if they have played both. It's also harder to make money and you need a much bigger bankroll when compared to NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I don't know if I agree with this. The reason is that in limit you are only going to lose x amount of money on any single hand. In NL, you can lose your entire stack. I think you need a bigger bank-roll for NL than limit. If you are finding limit to be more swingy you may be playing either too aggressively or chasing draws with incorrect odds.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:12 PM

This has been discussed here repeatedly.
The math has been done. A good player will have much lower variance and higher win rate playing NL holdem vs. Limit holdem. A bad player can hang on to his $ longer at limit. This is both mathematically true AND logical. It's not open to debate.
It would be like debating whether Chess is easier than checkers. Some individuals may find the nuances of checkers to be quite difficult relative to chess, but for the general population checkers is by far the more difficult game to understand.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This has been discussed here repeatedly.
The math has been done. A good player will have much lower variance and higher win rate playing NL holdem vs. Limit holdem. A bad player can hang on to his $ longer at limit. This is both mathematically true AND logical. It's not open to debate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah I see, the poker part makes sense the more I think about it. Can anyone link to a good thread about this, just out of curiousity? Thanks!

[ QUOTE ]
It would be like debating whether Chess is easier than checkers. Some individuals may find the nuances of checkers to be quite difficult relative to chess, but for the general population checkers is by far the more difficult game to understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, are you really saying that people find checkers more difficult than chess? I hope this is a typo.