Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Pots odds theory

Look at it this way... if your drawing to a flush (with A,xs in your hand) an have three opponents you want to see one of nine cards. You're opponets could have six of them, but they could just as likely have none of them, there is no way to be 100% sure. If you assume that they all hold your flush card you are getting 41 to 3 odds on the flop if you assume that they have none of your flush cards you are geeting 41 to 9 on the flop. There are also other combinations that your opponets may or may not have. So to account for all the variations that could occur we factor in all unseen cards, the 9 flush cards and the 47 possible remaining cards.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:56 AM

I like your idea. I think that one of Sklansky's books talks about using this type of information as it pertains to over cards. You would need better odds to draw because it is likely that your oppenent holds high cards as well.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:53 PM

Thank you Kurn, I was wondering while I was reading through the posts if anyone was going to correct his pot odds. I would love to play against someone who thinks his way and believes that he has less than a 5:1 chance of catching his flush with the overcard and the backdoor. I would be stealing pots left and right.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:09 PM

Let's not forget about the burn cards either...

I really only say tongue and cheek. An interesting post, and I'm sure there's mathematical minded people that may try to figure some new advanced system, if they haven't already; but the way we currently and traditionally figure pot odds I believe is just a general tool for the educated poker player to make better decision whethe or not to call a bet.
That is to say, do we really need a better system? There are still plenty of x factors involved most involving the reads you have on the players still in the pot. There will never be a 'perfect' system based on that fact. Which is why the vast majority of people enjoy poker anyway, the 'gut instinct' factor and the challenge of playing ther person, not the cards.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everything thats been needed to say has already has been said, I'm just going to repeat it

If the cards you need are distributed equally throughout the deck and opponents hands, so are cards that will not help you, keeping the odds the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!! Statistics can be counter-intuitive....this post is just someone over-thinking.......