Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Is this too weak tight?

I dunno why you would want to minraise the river bet. It seems like a situation where most hands will fold (ie, anyone without a 9) and only gives the chance to someone with a 9 to reraise you. I think you played the hand correctly, and after the 9 fell you made the most positive EV move.

On the flop, You have a monster, you are only afraid of a couple of cards, (9qka) and only rarely will you be behind when QKA fall (although if you do put him on an overpair, you have to be careful). I think it's one of those situations where you must take a small risk in order to potentially make more money. Playing 5 handed it is the perfect spot to slowplay, and hope your opponent hits his kicker if he has a 9 so that you can take his stack. The call here seems like the right move, with the intention of getting alot of money in on the turn.

The 9 puts you in a tricky situation. I think here you really need to know your opponent. Would he continue to make small value bets with a 9 or would he check and wait for the river? Regardless, I think that with the small bets, calling it down was the right move.

If he has a pocket pair, you are letting him continue to bet into you when you have the best hand, whereas, having raised at any point, the fellow with the wired pair will fold and only the 9 will call/raise you.

my $0.02
RickyG
Old 07-26-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the fellow with the wired pair will fold and only the 9 will call/raise you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the AA/KK will pay you off alot of times. If you get reraised you know you can safely muck without seeing his 9.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:27 PM

You could try a small raise on the turn to see exactly how strong he actually is. If it was me I'd be definitely calling all the way to the river, but I'd probably raise the flop or turn and see what happens.