Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Stages of poker post

I posted this here, becasue I think you guys will identify more of with what I am going through, than the average forumite. I am in the stage of playing too many hands, thinking that Im "better" than everyone else, enough so that I KNOW Im playing unprofitably sometimes (something of which I didnt experience before, either because I was ignorant to begin, then progressing to playing well), but Im having trouble figuring out when Im going to far, and when Im pushing my small eges. Should I go back to playing tighter? Or should I keep playing like this, being a little confused, until I learn how to play more hands, and better (ie, the best teacher is experience?)....Im sure this doesnt make much sense, but Im trying to progress to the next step of my game, and at a stumbling block.

Something that I forgot to mention, is taht I am finding it increasinly harder to pay attention, and my reading up/interest in poker is waning. Is that normal, will I get past it? Unless Im playing live...
Old 09-09-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Stages of poker post

How many more hands are we talking about?
-James
Old 09-09-2005, 01:14 PM

Not that many, I was a ~16/9 player, but I think Ive been playing ~20-22/10 lately (after going from full, to 6 max, back to full). But Im also not winning.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:18 PM

Play fewer hands. Raise more hands preflop. Your preflop numbers tell me it's likely you're not ready to handle the proper amount of aggression needed to play more hands postflop.
-James
Old 09-09-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Play fewer hands. Raise more hands preflop. Your preflop numbers tell me it's likely you're not ready to handle the proper amount of aggression needed to play more hands postflop.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you elaborate (as I think you are probably right). Are you saying Im not prepeared to handle hte proper amount of aggression from others, or dole out the right amount?
My true numbers according to PT, are now 18/10 over the last 35 k hands. Before that they were 14.8/9. I know its not a major leap, but I dont feel comfortable, and I dont seem to be getting better at poker. I learned a ton real quick, and became adept at playing (5/10 6 max was my highest 20/40 live). But now, I just seem to be at a sticking point and know Im not getting better.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:09 PM

Don't force yourself to change all at once. Add hands you either play or raise with 1 at a time, not a group at a time. As far as aggression goes, when you play more hands preflop, you need to keep YOUR aggression up postflop so you win more hands without showdown.

As you add more hands to limp with, change some of the hands you were limping with to hands you raise with. Forcing yourself to totally change your playing style isn't going to get you anywhere.
-James
Old 09-09-2005, 03:23 PM

you should never lump full game stats in with short handed. the games play quite differently.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:46 PM

It wasnt, all stats were from full ring. I just meant that I played ring, from .5/1 to 3/6, then 5/10 6 max (with 10/20 6 max intermintently), then games higher at full ring. Its just that after playing the 6 max games, it changed my game.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:30 PM

ok, well if you want to keep your VPIP in the low 20's, your PFR should be around 12 or 13. but i think that was already said.

what level are you playing at now?
Old 09-09-2005, 04:38 PM

I dont really play much, I stoped playing 15/30 a couple of months ago. I still play live once a week (20/40), just because I enjoy it, and can beat that game handily. I stopped playing due to boredom of poker, and being burnt out on it. But I want to get back into it, and dont really want to start playing with out a plan of action. But Ill probably start back online within the enxt couple of weeks, dont know where though. My game is in a funk if you couldnt tell.

PS, the last time I felt comfortable playing (ie, I knew I was beating it, due to stats, and playing well, was 5/10 6 max). I didnt playenough at 10/20 6max to make a real difference.