Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 02:57 PM

Default home cash game question

k so im gonna hold a home cash game with $10 buyin and unlimited rebuys... should get about $150 on the table before the night is over, but how do i decide when players can cash out? do i allow em to cash out whenever or do i say at a certain time? Thanks for the help
Old 11-22-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: home cash game question

you DON'T decide...

they do.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:34 PM

Players should be allowed to come and go as they please... there shouldn't be a "preset" ending time. My home game typically starts around 8pm and has been known to run till 8am at times... depending on who's playing.

HOWEVER, IF you must have the game end at a certain time... then make it known as the night starts. Going up big, then announcing the game ends in 30 minutes or an hour is lame. If you start at 8pm and need to be in bed by midnight then make it known that the last hand is dealt at 11:45 by a certain clock in the room so there are no surprises.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:21 PM

If you control the time of cash outs, it becomes less of a cash game and more of a tourney. As long as there they set a leave time, there shouldn't be a problem.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
k so im gonna hold a home cash game with $10 buyin and unlimited rebuys... should get about $150 on the table before the night is over, but how do i decide when players can cash out? do i allow em to cash out whenever or do i say at a certain time? Thanks for the help

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually it's bad form to have a "earliest cash out time" however if you really think someone is going to hit and run you should do the following:

1.) Require that players are in the game at least an hour
2.) Remove the hit-and-run offender from your invite list
Old 11-23-2005, 08:49 PM

We ask players to just let us know as a heads up about an hour before they think they have to go. Pretty much everyone does so everytime and its no problem

I would not suggest un-inviting a losing player for hitting and running, unless he is influencing others to do the same
Old 11-24-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would not suggest un-inviting a losing player for hitting and running, unless he is influencing others to do the same

[/ QUOTE ]

Hit and run is not a +EV strategy by any means, the reason I'd suggest un-inviting him is because it's anti-social.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:25 PM

When I need to leave early I usually announce on the button that I will play one more round (to me being on the button). Works for me.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you DON'T decide...

they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Players should be allowed to come and go as they please. You don't get mad at online players that play for five minutes and then leave do you?
Old 11-25-2005, 05:31 PM

The only rule I suggest regarding this is that you can't remove money from the table unless you are leaving. In other words if you buy in for $10 and are up to $40, you can't cash out the $30 (or any amount) and just play with less. Everyone needs to be able to win their money back... however if they want to leave, they can leave.