Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Ax suited Early level

How many here try to limp Ax suited (x being less than 10) in early levels out of position. I use to toss these with regularity but at the 55's the flop action gets so aggressive that I have found large paybacks when they hit. Of I shun them like the plague on any aggressive preflop action? Is this still a bad play??
Old 10-07-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Ax suited Early level

Dump em from early position, even if x = J. I hate crappy aces. I might come in for a raise from late position with them, but definately not early.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dump em from early position, even if x = J. I hate crappy aces. I might come in for a raise from late position with them, but definately not early.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with this post.

Even though I only play at the 11s right now, early stages of a STT I never even limp with Ax suited. However I am an extremely tight player... so... so... whatever! LOL!
Old 10-07-2005, 12:43 PM

I'll play AJ suited from early, but fold to a raise from LP. There are still enough donks to make it profitable (at least for me). AJo is a completely different issue.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:47 PM

Yeah I guess I am a bit to scared of another person having AK or AQ and out flopping me with a Axx flop. *shrugs*

I just feel more safe playing my tight early stages style than anything.

Plus at the 11s there really isnt any point to taking these chances early as see'ing how their overall play sucks nearing the bubble and such.

Just my two cents.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:46 PM

I am typically a very tight player but I do like A3 A4 suited if I can limp in when blinds are cheap. The reason for the 3 and the 4 is it throws some straight opportunities in there as well. Still experimenting with it and am well aware this is not a play to be made at the higher levels (and probably not at lower ones either..LOL) The beauty is if you can catch there are too many donks who can't let a pair of aces go. You can easily collect 10-15 BB early on and maybe a whole stack if the table is particularly post flop aggressive.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am typically a very tight player but I do like A3 A4 suited if I can limp in when blinds are cheap. The reason for the 3 and the 4 is it throws some straight opportunities in there as well. Still experimenting with it and am well aware this is not a play to be made at the higher levels (and probably not at lower ones either..LOL) The beauty is if you can catch there are too many donks who can't let a pair of aces go. You can easily collect 10-15 BB early on and maybe a whole stack if the table is particularly post flop aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you going on the implied odds that no one will guess that you have a low ace that completes a wheel? The odds of nailing a favorable flop for this are pretty crappy.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:05 PM

Dont try to justify playing these hands. IMO, they get you in more trouble than they are worth. More than likely, someone will raise after you limp and you end up puking out a blind here and there. Dont try to justify playing this hand...just fold it and forget it.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:17 PM

Without a doubt the general consensus and correct play is to lay this down. I think however a good player can make this a very good +ev on the lower rate tables. Anyone have the odds on A3 A4 suited flopping higher than top pair??
Old 10-07-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dont try to justify playing these hands. IMO, they get you in more trouble than they are worth. More than likely, someone will raise after you limp and you end up puking out a blind here and there. Dont try to justify playing this hand...just fold it and forget it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this 100%. To many times you are going to get yourself into trouble post flop with these sorts of hands. Early stages of the tournaments this is an easy fold.